Audi & trafficmaster for A6 & A8 owners

AZURES3

Audi Models Now Equipped Real-Time Traffic Information in the UK

RAC Trafficmaster-equipped satellite navigation to give UK A6 and A8 drivers advance warning of traffic congestion

Britain’s traffic jams will soon contain fewer Audis as RAC Trafficmaster is to begin beaming real-time traffic information direct to the satellite navigation systems of A6 and A8 models, helping drivers to steer clear of congestion.

Audi UK will integrate RAC Trafficmaster's RDS TMC (Radio Data System Traffic Message Channel) service initially on satellite navigation systems fitted to the A6 and A8 from November 2005. The real time traffic data technology will enable drivers to monitor traffic conditions and will automatically redirect them away from congested routes in order to minimise traffic delays.

The RAC Trafficmaster RDS TMC service is unique in that it gathers its traffic data in real time from an established nationwide network of over 7,500 roadside sensors covering over 8,000 miles of trunk routes and motorway. The data is then transmitted to customers' vehicles via the RDS bandwidth of commercial radio stations.

DVD Satellite navigation is a standard feature built into the Multi Media Interface (MMI) driver information system for the aluminium-bodied A8 luxury saloon, and is an extra cost option for the MMI system fitted to all A6 Saloon and Avant models. A revised navigation DVD incorporating the RAC Trafficmaster application will be available for existing drivers of A6 and A8 models equipped with MMI and satellite navigation.

I've heard from a few people who have TMC and they say it's absolutely useless. Coverage is good for motorways but non existent for other roads, so the navigation will route you somewhere else because it's busy on the motorway, only to dump you in to a traffic jam on a minor road or in a town centre that it doesn't know about.

I have it on a disc in my Laguna - it works ok, but I'd agree that it's often too late by the time it gets the info.

Do I take it from the orifinal post that I'll be able to get a DVD for my A6 that's being delivered in September? Freebie?

Had it in my V6 vectra also!! Like Paul said, it was often too late to do anything about the jams/incident.

It was quite fun playing spot the transmitter! You could see the transmitters on the side of the road, two grey poles, one shorter than the other!

It works better now - My old man has SmartNav that uses the same technology and it uses historic patterns too, so it might send you through a town centre on a Sunday evening, rather that using the (longer) by pass for example.

He's happy with the re routing - it tells you what the delay will be, how long the alternative will take and gives you the choice.