Best ultra-portable laptop for under £2k

Ok, I'm about to change my company laptop.

I have a Dell X400 that is great, very portable, but I have a few grand spare in a budget so I'm going to treat myself.

Criteria:

As light as possible

Excellent battery life

Decent processor power but NOT a desktop replacement

CD-RW/DVD (not necessarily DVD-R) but can be in the of of media/docking station

Extended life battery must be available

Best screen quality possible

No bigger screen that 14" absolute maximum

Windows XP Pro

Bluetooth/wireless/modem

I've been thinking about a Toshiba from the Portege range, so theres a start.

Note, the £2k price limit EXCLUDES VAT. If the price goes over £2k including VAT is doesn't matter.

Take a look at the Alienware Sienna

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detai...SKU-PERFORMANCE

New Alienware Thin and Light Chassis

12.1" SXGA+ 1280x800 LCD Display

Front Panel Instant key buttons

Synaptics Touchpad

1 Type II PCMCIA Slots

3 USB 2.0 Ports & 1 IEEE-1394 Port (4 PIN)

Kensington Lock

Standard Smart Li-ION Battery

Dual Battery Support

Full Size 88-Key 19mm Pitch Keyboard

Configurable Smart Bay Support

Stereo Speakers with Volume control

Performance Benchmarks Documentation

4 hours battery life.

If you weren't on a budget, one of these would look quite flash ; http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4085/

On a more serious note, if I was shopping for a new laptop today I would go for a VAIO ; http://www.laptopsetc.co.uk/product.asp?dept%5Fid=53&sku=749

The spec above is £1420 (ex Vat), which leaves plenty to buy the amazing VGP-BPL2 7200mAh battery at £230, and as you've still got a bit of cash left, the 3 year next business day on site support @ £206.

[ QUOTE ]

If you weren't on a budget, one of these would look quite flash ; http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4085/

On a more serious note, if I was shopping for a new laptop today I would go for a VAIO ; http://www.laptopsetc.co.uk/product.asp?dept%5Fid=53&sku=749

The spec above is £1420 (ex Vat), which leaves plenty to buy the amazing VGP-BPL2 7200mAh battery at £230, and as you've still got a bit of cash left, the 3 year next business day on site support @ £206.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah enough Vaio's to fill a warehouse. The build has detoriated too.

I'd choose a Toshiba Portege before a Vaio these days.

I know of an very high spec Alienware Laptop for sale if anyone is interested, retails at over £2,800 but they will take £2,100. Has only been used for about 10 mins and most of that was to setup/register XP.

Will post up the full spec next week

G

if you want a solid but boring choice try the ibm x40 similar specification to a toshiba portege but better build quality. no dvd built in but you can buy a dvd dock that sits underneath the laptop. there is also the x41 which is a tablet pc version of the x40.

I've got an IBM T42 think (they do a T43 now)and can't praise it enought, fourth one I have had and never had a problem with any of them.

Its not supper thin form factor but it is quick, and has very good battery life, plus you can add a pack that will give you almost a days life apparently. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Its not supper thin form factor but it is quick, and has very good battery life, plus you can add a pack that will give you almost a days life apparently. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been issued a T30 by work and am getting one of those packs when the intern I'm replacing leaves, they take the T30 up to something like 6 hours of reasonable usage with the wifi on.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't the IBM's use the tit nipples instead of a mouse?

I can't be doing with that. Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope... They have the nipple which is now loads easier to use than it used to be. And they have the pad like the rest. You can use either at the same time and have a mouse plugged in and they all work, or turn any/all off.

I would take a second look !! And the case is none of this flimsy plastic rubbish. They haven't won best quality and relaibility in places like PC Pro for the last 2/3 years for no reason. smile.gif

Dell's suffer badly from "faulty nipples" resulting in a cursor that tootles off round the screen when you don't want it to. At it's worst, the cursor flies off the screen and you have to fight to get it back. Still, my IT guys think it's great as whenever a female member of staff has this problem they get to walk up to them and say "I've come to look at your nipple".

[ QUOTE ]

Dell's suffer badly from "faulty nipples" resulting in a cursor that tootles off round the screen when you don't want it to. At it's worst, the cursor flies off the screen and you have to fight to get it back. Still, my IT guys think it's great as whenever a female member of staff has this problem they get to walk up to them and say "I've come to look at your nipple".

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine still works on my Inspirion 8200 after almost 4 years now, but I have it disabled as I used to rest my hand on it when playing games and it would take control over from my USB mouse....

The IBM I have has a touchpad and a nipple so you get a choice and my Dell is the same.

Nice! At £1,429.00 did you spend the other £570 on upgrades (Ram/bigger HD...? smile.gif

Also you stated the screen must not be bigger than 14", then you go and buy one with a 14.1" screen - I don't know, one rule for you and another for everyone else eh!

No bigger screen that 14" absolute maximum

I like the protection features on that laptop, hard pieces of plastic at the corners. Very sophisticated technology. grin.gif

No active hardisk parking there then.

Just got PC Pro through the door this morning and the new X41 Ultraportable Laptop is the one to have apparently, 7hrs battery life.

Prefer my T41, best laptop of any make I have had so far. smlove2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Also you stated the screen must not be bigger than 14", then you go and buy one with a 14.1" screen - I don't know, one rule for you and another for everyone else eh!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Russ, you're right, I did. Sorry about that. I decided to compromise on that condition because of the slimline design of the S100 and I can live with 14.1" I reckon.

I've also ordered the second battery for the side bay.