Alpine H/U

AlanH

Decided to upgrade the H/U in my GTi, and had an Alpine unit installed yesterday with the iPod adapter. Improvement in sound quality is quite significant, and it's great having full control of the iPod from the H/U. Only two small drawbacks - the H/U has is powered all the time, meaning I have to switch it on and off manually - it doesn't work with the ignition. The installer fitted an Audioleads(?) double DIN fascia panel that looks OK, but not great. Anyone found a fascia panel that matches the existing dashboard exactly?

There's also a company called 'Connects 2' which makes these but I don't know it they are any better. My local VW dealer also mentioned that VW make their own although I suspect they will probably just be the Autoleads ones re-packaged. I'd also be interested to hear if there are any better options than the Autoleads version as I'm also waiting to fit an Alpine unit to mine when it arrives.

Jamie

As I said, the Audioleads unit looks OK, and the installer fitted a "pocket" in the spare DIN cutout, but it still looks too "aftermarket" for my taste. I think you'll be impressed with the improvement in sound quality when you get your Alpine.

Have you fitted any other kit besides the head unit?

I'm having some JL650CSI component speakers fitted in the front and a JL10" sub and amps in the boot. I'm really hopeing the sound is awesome with how much I've ended up spending on it all. The installation alone is probably going to be close to £1000!

Jamie

The installer offered a lead soldered to the ignition switch barrel, bur weren't too keen to do this. With the iPod connected to the adapter, it's always receiving power, even when the H/U is switched off, and this doesn't seem like a good idea.