987 Boxster, about time I did a write up

richy_uk

I only have 2 excuses for not doing a review sooner, work and enjoying myself in the car. So it's only fair I did a little review for anyone that's interested.

It's going to be really difficult to describe objectively when something floats your boat but here goes. I have totally run out of excuses with Mrs Richy to just pop out in the evening for a little drive. It gives such a buzz on so many fronts.

So, what is it ? It's a 987 Boxster, 2.7, Silver, Black hood, black interior, leather seats (partial leather in Porsche speak), 18" wheels, coloured wheel centres, BOSE, wind defelector, Auto dim mirrors x 3 and rain sensor wipers.

Still running in and have done 600 miles in just over 2 weeks but 4,000 rpm is plenty enough pace. Glorious noise, that never gets tiring and apparantly get's better beyond 4,000 rpm when the variable valve thingy kicks in. Even running in, I've blown away plenty of rep mobile fodder with ease.

To go with the engine, the traction and grip are immense. I think the tyres were specially developed to match the car and just seem to grip forever at speeds that make me really nervous let alone thinking about reaching a point to see how it reacts when grip goes. As for the handling, this thing is so well balanced and accurate, you literally just point and go and it's there wanting more. I really cannot fault the way it drives in anyway at all.

There's lot's of discussion on Boxa.net about wheel options and PASM or not. I went for 18" Boxster S wheels without PASM. Must say, it's ride considering the type of car is actually quite good, better than the ride on a demo car with 19" wheels that I tried.

One of my favourite options is the BOSE. This thing is incredible. So much better than the BOSE in my old A4 cab, it's just more detailed, clearer with lot's more bass.

One really nice standard touch which I'm loving too much is the roof folding on the move. Between 5 and 30 mph, press the release lever, then hit the switch once and away it goes. Very cool.

The roof is just one element out of so many where this car has raised it's game in quality terms. The interior materials are much better than the old 986 and it just seems to be put together in a very Audi like way. The exterior quality in terms of panel fit and paint finish are also excellent.

I always liked the way this car looked in brochures and magazines, but I always think you only ever appreciate a car's looks once you've owned it for a period of time and polished it a couple of time. The design just comes together so well and seeing Mrs Richy driving it yesterday was the first time I'd seen it in motion. It looked even better moving, so dynamic and squat.

So, after nearly 3 weeks, and a small amount of pain getting it, I can honestly say it has really been worth it. During a dark moment when Porsche just couldn't tell me when my car was arriving, I started to think what else could I buy. Z4, TT, SLK ? Mrs Richy nearly slapped me silly. She said firstly it's Porsche with all it's abilities that lot's of people rave about and second, she rarely hears of anyone turning their back on Porsche once they're in the fold. Well, she must have had the old crystal ball going well that night because after living with it, she is spot on.

478780-DSC00149%28Small%29.JPG

478780-DSC00150%28Small%29.JPG

478780-DSC00151%28Small%29.JPG

478780-DSC00153%28Small%29.JPG

478780-DSC00154%28Small%29.JPG

post-1257-1379143170_thumb.jpg

Very nice car, and a good review. Please post a follow up once it is run in and you've misbehaved once or twice in it. smile.gif

The wheels are interesting - I haven't seen any on the examples of Stuttgart's finest down here...

Looks like you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it - well done. ECLIPSe.gif

Excellent Rich, it looks very nice indeed.

I'm pleased you think the same as me about the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres as well - I can't find anything that has the combination of wet/dry grip the same as these.

They just grip and grip and grip...the frightening thing being that when they do decide to let go I suspect my M3 would be doing a very high speed and end up backward or upside down within a millisecond.

A truly fantastic tyre and credit to Michelin.

I much prefer the look of the 987 to the old model - I just think it's a cleaner more aesthetically and naturally 'Porsche' shape - and that the little bits they've changed are the reasons for that.

The roof being able to drop on the move is something I picked up on a recent 997 911 C2S Cab review - a great idea. It's a pain in the bum in the M to have to stop or at least be at a total crawl (speedo not moving hardly).

Very good summary review though and it certainly sounds a mechanical improvement on the previous model too.

Lovely looking car (and I hated the old Boxster!!!) and a great review, all the best with it smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It's a pain in the bum in the M to have to stop or at least be at a total crawl (speedo not moving hardly).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped my MX-5's hood at 20mph the other day wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I dropped my MX-5's hood at 20mph the other day wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of when I dropped the hood on my MX-5 many years ago...at 50mph....and tore what seemed like every fecking muscle in my arm and had pull over straight away....and be driven home by a mate.....and couldn't drive for a week or so!

[ QUOTE ]

If I could stretch into the mid £30K area (and live with two seats) there is simply no other car I would consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a mistake! Not critising the 987 at all, but I used to think similarly, to the extent that I was scared to demo one because I thought I'd be utterly hooked and behave like a 2yr old till I got one. Finally gave in and demo'd it but it didn't work out quite like that.

The car was a bit of a shock for me, very raw c.f the A4/S4 cab, I wasn't sure I wanted to live with it. The demo was too stingy for the undoubted handling benefits to kick in.

Finally even in the short demo I was pretty convinced that it would have to be an S which was just to expensive.

Go try one then you'll know. 169144-ok.gif

Thats a very interesting viewpoint CM.

One of the things I prise about my A4 Cabrio is its ability to so convincingly play the executive saloon when necessary. Every so often I do a virtually non stop run to Liverpool and back, about a 600 mile trip, usually late at night when the roads are quiet, and the Audi Cab never fails to impress with its ride, smoothness, and sheer ability to just quietly tuck away the miles in complete comfort.

I'm guessing that, fun as a Boxster undoubtably is, it probably wouldn't play that role anything like as convincingly.

All cars are a compromise I guess, and the Boxster is a sports car so quite rightly focussed toward performance and handling. I suspect you're right and I'd maybe regret losing the long distance touring ability that the Audi does so well (certainly this is what I found "wrong" with the Z3 when I tried one earlier this year, see my review in this forum).

Any thoughts Richy?

Ari, agree entirely. One of the reasons for my change was that my driving habits and types of journeys have totally changed. I used to be quite a regular motorway basher and when that dramatically reduced, I went into the A4 cab as a compromise just in case. When it became a reality, I knew I really didn't need such a multifunctional car and went more focussed, i.e. the Boxster. If I was still doing long journeys regularly, I would have never of chosen a Boxster as sole transport. As back up, last year, I bought Mrs RichY a Merc C class with an auto slush box (to also aid the buttering up process), the negative being allowing her to drive the Boxster, but I think the household fleet now has diverse offerings. I actually found the A4 cab too similar to the Merc, i.e. 4 comfortable seats for a long run, main difference being the roof comes off on one. Having the Boxster adds a totally different dimension and choice, but in a long winded way, don't get a Boxster if you do long journeys regularly and it's the only car you access to. Comfortable as it is, it's more tiring. A4 cab is a very good compromise.

Good info, thanks. 169144-ok.gif

And I feel better now about not quite being able to stretch to the Boxster, from what you say it'd be a bad choice for me as the Audi has to do it all, and as you say is probably a better multi purpose tool.

Amazing - we all agree. Sorry to turn your thread into a celebration of the versatility of the A4Cab - a veritable swiss army knife of a car.

Still think there may be a Boxster for me at some point in the future. Going to need a much more generous test drive to get the lust going and make me entertain the tortuous purchasing process.

Cheers

CM