audi a6 tdi flatspots and smoke

motofox

Hi - can someone point me in right direction with problems with my audi a6 tdi 1995 - its got 188000 miles and under acceleration its usualy ok but now and then it stammers or stutters as if its running out of diesel and blackish smoke poors out of it - it can be cruising at 80 mph then suddenly it will cchurn smoke out all of a sudden - what can cause the spluttering under acceleration ? thanks in advance

Get some Millers Diesel Plus (good auto factors - ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES). That will clean the injectors. Also, change the air filter.

Not sure what else to try, check the throttle cables and clean the MAF. Also, spray in some carb cleaner with the engine running and revving.

Give it a go, see what happens!

Good luck.

okay - thanks - just pulled off a black block connector that was sat directly on top of the airfilter, the car has completly stopped smoking and accelerates normally - great - is this the mass airflow metre and can i just leave it disconnected ???

Hi,

When you put the throttle down, it gives "driver fuel request". If the ecu asks for fueling, it looks at the airflow and gives the corrected fueling according to the map schedule. It also uses several filters (iat, baro, and fuel temp). Once the IQ is adjusted by filters, it delivers the command to the quantity adjuster in your pump. The ecu now see's how much fuel is being delivered (based on Maf inputs) and delivers the scheduled boost and timing based on load, rpm, and driver request.

With the MAF disconnected, the ECU will use predetermined values.

With the MAF connected, the ECU can use variable values then to get optimum combustion. Depends upon the speed/temp of the air coming in. Your emmissions might depend on it or fail depending upon the day/time/air flow and (whether the day has an N in it and all sorts).