A few interesting Car Facts....

NewNiceMrMe

Well I thought they were quite interesting anyway!

The De Tomaso Mangusta (Mongoose) was named because a Mongoose is known as an animal that "Eats Cobra's" - the target in this case being AC Cobra's!!!!

Harrod's was one of the first Morgan Car Dealers.

10% of the cars on Britains roads lack a valid tax disc

Peter Stevens, the designer of the McLaren F1, Lotus Elan and Jaguar XJR-15......also designed the sunroof handle for the original Ford Granda.

Mini drivers were offered £6 a month by jeans giant Levi in 1977 if they would let their cars be transformed into mobile adverts. The minis were painted with the Levi Logo, with a huge zipper running down the side Owners could choose whether to keep the paint job for anything between three months and a year.

The AA originated from the Brighton Motor Road Patrol which kept watch on the Brighton Road to warn motorists of speed traps.

An airbag moves up to 4500 mph within a second when triggered. A force of 200g is generated. They are designed to explode at an impact speed of 19 mph. The bag inflates within 40 milliseconds of a crash.

The Worlds longest traffic hold-up was 110 miles long, between Paris and Lyon on the French Autoroute in 1980. A more recent contender for the title was a 100 mile long traffic Jam, near Hamburg in Germany in 1993.

Adolf Hitler had a false floor fitted into his Mercedes 770K, making him look 5 inches taller, when he stood up in the car.

[ QUOTE ]

Mini drivers were offered £6 a month by jeans giant Levi in 1977 if they would let their cars be transformed into mobile adverts. The minis were painted with the Levi Logo, with a huge zipper running down the side Owners could choose whether to keep the paint job for anything between three months and a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asked to do a reproduction of one of these about 7 years ago but it fell through. A real pity.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asked to do a reproduction of one of these about 7 years ago but it fell through. A real pity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe i've never seen one of these! Surely after the 12 months is up some people didn't bother getting their car changed back?!

I have had a ride in 1977 Silver jubilee union flag mini. I remember they were sign written with paint and brush and the royal crest was looking very worn... and this was 20 years ago.

They had beige stitching and and a zipper and as far as I remember, a rather large copper rivet on the bonnet. Anyone who had had it done would need some restoration by now unless the car was seriously looked after.

[ QUOTE ]

An airbag moves up to 4500 mph within a second when triggered. A force of 200g is generated. They are designed to explode at an impact speed of 19 mph. The bag inflates within 40 milliseconds of a crash.

[/ QUOTE ] from the stats you'll think that they will do damage to you

[ QUOTE ]

from the stats you'll think that they will do damage to you

[/ QUOTE ]

..and they can.

In 1999 alone almost 100 children were killed by airbags - due to their seats being mounted in the front when manufacturers specifically advise against it.

Furthermore, 86 deaths have been recorded in the USA with the airbag being noted as the cause (though not without other factors).

54 of these drivers weren't wearing seatbelts (if you don't wear a belt and airbag is pretty much a lethal weapon in front of you).

4 mis-used their seatbelts - had them attached incorrectly.

For 3 of the drivers the belt use is unknown.

Two of the drivers were unconscious, had slumped over their steering wheels, and were killed by the airbag going off as they did so.

The remainder were belted properly - but still killed by the airbag.

Of passengers, 12 were killed by airbags, with the majority being unbelted.

More alarmingly, amongst the children killed - 3 were killed because they were sat on the lap of the driver. The airbag killed them instantly. All 3 drivers survived. I think I'd have rather died than live with that guilt.

[ QUOTE ]

In 1999 alone almost 100 children were killed by airbags - due to their seats being mounted in the front when manufacturers specifically advise against it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once asked the wife of a chap I know (to speak to, not a friend) whether the airbag in her BMW 5 Series was switchable (being pretty sure it wasn't) as she had her baby grandaughter in a rearward facing car seat on the front seat next to her. She had no idea what I was talking about. I explained that rearward facing babyseats in combination with an airbag is lethal and would almost certainly kill the child if it deployed.

She nodded blankly and the next time I saw here, baby was still in the front... crazy.gif

Madness. smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The De Tomaso Mangusta (Mongoose) was named because a Mongoose is known as an animal that "Eats Cobra's" - the target in this case being AC Cobra's!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty cool. cool.gif

Similar thing happened in the bike world.

Honda launched their ultimate bike of the time, the 1,100cc CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.

Sukuki's reposte, the 1,300cc 190mph+ Hayabusa.

Hayabusa means Falcon in Japanese, and in nature, what is amongst the Falcons prey?

The Blackbird...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A colleague of mine picked up a brand new one of these a few weeks ago, absolutely mind boggling machine. Apparently it will do 200mph+ but I will take his word for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've heard that the "official" top speed is 190mph+, but in reality 200mph+ is the norm.

Doesn't bear thinking about does it...? blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

More alarmingly, amongst the children killed - 3 were killed because they were sat on the lap of the driver. The airbag killed them instantly. All 3 drivers survived

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, who needs and airbag when you have a child to soften the blow?

Sick, I know, but the amount of people I see with kids either hanging out the window OR sitting on some-ones lap. It really does appall me that people do it. Do they not have a clue!?!?!?

If I was a Policeman and saw it, I would really give them a slapping and chuck a book the size of Encyl Britannica at them!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

can we rename mr me as Statto? he's pulling up some beauties today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't fecking suggest that!!!!! Rubberdubber is fine thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I think he mean that you id should be Statto and Rubberdubber your erm... pet name. grin.gifsekret.giflol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A colleague of mine picked up a brand new one of these a few weeks ago, absolutely mind boggling machine. Apparently it will do 200mph+ but I will take his word for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've heard that the "official" top speed is 190mph+, but in reality 200mph+ is the norm.

Doesn't bear thinking about does it...? blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The turbo Hayabusa is even more pant-filling crazy.gif