Microfibre clothes

stewarta13wsb

[ QUOTE ]

These Microfibre clothes that everyone makes now... are they just for drying the car quicker, or are they for waxing/polishing as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got some from Poundland a while back and they're very good - At least as good as my Zymol ones (that were £17 more!) blush.gif

I use them on the bike for taking polish off and drying. 169144-ok.gif

BUB

[ QUOTE ]

These Microfibre clothes that everyone makes now... are they just for drying the car quicker, or are they for waxing/polishing as well?

Sorry for such a basic question (asked Clean & Shiny but didn't get a reply - maybe they thought I was pulling their leg) but I really don't know blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Stewart,

Sorry for missing the mail! I would have answered no matter how silly the question....

Looks like you have your answer now, but I thought I would just show my face just in case you needed to know anything else.

Regards,

John

Micro fibre cloths are made out yarn which is spun from man made microfibres which are finer than silk.

These microfibres are shaped and split similar to the fibres in the attached diagram. The huge amount of surface area means that through capilary action, they can soak up amazing amounts of water which makes them great for drying.

they also have edges to them which hook and grip dirt, meaning that you can sometimes clean things like windows without the need for detergents.

Recently we sprayed a car window with white grease and were able to wipe it clean with just a microfibre cloth.

there are an amazing array of different blends and weave patterns. One manufacturer alone once sent us over 30 sample products.

We find that if they feel thick and heavy they are good for most things, regardless of weave.

Not so long ago you used to be able to get a fairly good idea of how good a cloth was from looking at the blend on the lable, but this was sometimes misleading which is why, now the blend is often missing from the label.

480484-microfibre-2.jpg

post-4769-137914317143_thumb.jpg

I've got around 130 MF/WW towels and before using them I always test them with a mild polish on an old CD - if they scratch the CD, they never go near paint on my car and get relegated to door shuts, wheels, glass etc.

Not used chamois or terry/stockinette since.

[ QUOTE ]

I've got around 130 MF/WW towels and before using them I always test them with a mild polish on an old CD - if they scratch the CD, they never go near paint on my car and get relegated to door shuts, wheels, glass etc.

Not used chamois or terry/stockinette since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those AOL CDs had to be good for something!

Got a bundle of different types of Microfibre cloths from a company called Pakshak in Hawaii (??) who sell Micropak cloths. Top quality and pretty cheap in reasonable quantities (far cheaper than Meguires) and just as good if not better quality.

It looks like they will have a UK distributer quite soon but if not it could be a good sales opportunity for someone! laugh.gif

p.s. Thanks to the guys from Clio-sport.net for letting me see the light. 169144-ok.gif

I have several microfibres - Bodyline, 3M, and Autosmart - The Bodyline are aweful, and leave lint everywhere, Two are still in the box, and the other is never used. The 3M are good, if a little small, and the autosmart are very good, and the right size too. microfibre are the best.

Pakshak will have a UK stockist very soon - watch this space!

As for linting, I'd always recommend a wash before use. My washing regime for towels is as follows.

Set machine to conditioner cycle and add white vinegar to dispenser. Start machine (don't know if this is any good for the machine but I do it to rinse any dregs of soap/conditioner from the system)

Light soiling.

40 degree wash cycle, rinse with white vinegar on conditioner cycle then 2/3 additional rinses. Air dry

Heavy soiling

As above but either 60 or 90 degree wash

Other 1/2 reckons I take more care of my towels than my clothes - then again I tend to spend money on good towels rather than expensive designer labels!