Chips away - Birmingham

silentandy

Thoroughly recommend the guy in the Birmingham area who came to get rid of a huge chip and dent (about 1.5cm) from passenger side wing on my 4 week old GTI.

Before:

480406-gti_chip_before.jpg

After:

480406-gti_chip_after.jpg

Lighting conditions in second photo don't show the paintwork so well, but you can't see where it was at all! Everyone who had seen it before have looked again and can't see where it was 169144-ok.gif

I'm happy again jump.gif

post-8016-137914317139_thumb.jpg

Hi AndyW

Can I ask was the guy in B'ham reasonably priced? I have a chip on my door of my BM, it really annoys me, especially as my hubby just purchased a gleaming jet black Audi a4 sports and has the nerve to park it right next to mine!!

Could you post or PM me his number and name/company name?

Thanks

Unfortunately I was busy and had to leave him to it so didn't get to see how he did it. He was here from 8:30 til just after 2pm doing that in the picture, a couple of tiny bonnet chips and removing scratches from 3 wheels (stupid Halfords "safe" wheel brushes).

The price charged for all that was more than reasonable as far as my happiness is concerned, it came to £176.

As some one who does a similar thing to wot chips away do I strongly recomend to let him get on with the job and go inside and watch tv or wot ever. Whatch from the window, It is very off puttin havin customers whatch ova your shoulder!

[ QUOTE ]

As some one who does a similar thing to wot chips away do I strongly recomend to let him get on with the job and go inside and watch tv or wot ever. Whatch from the window, It is very off puttin havin customers whatch ova your shoulder!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you could just ask him what he is going to do/has done.

I'm interested just how much area he sprayed to fade in.

[ QUOTE ]

I was just interested in how that one was done on the top of the wing and where he faded out... it looks like a trcky one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did SMART repairs for around 9 months before I sold up and made a tidy profit. The processes involved are fairly simple, as with all things practise makes perfect.

The fade out is done purely with 2 sets of lacquer, one being a standard lacquer and the other called 'fade out lacquer'.

[ QUOTE ]

Chips Away or similar could do the job. I'd go with an independent company as ChipsAways prices tend to be expensive (in my opinion, as I know the profit margins of Chipsaways techs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cos they have to buy all there gear though chips away which is dam expensive- so the have to charge more in order to make sum dolla! Bonnets are not ideal areas to do smart repairs on, but you may find some one who has taken his brave pills that day!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Chips Away or similar could do the job. I'd go with an independent company as ChipsAways prices tend to be expensive (in my opinion, as I know the profit margins of Chipsaways techs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Cos they have to buy all there gear though chips away which is dam expensive- so the have to charge more in order to make sum dolla! Bonnets are not ideal areas to do smart repairs on, but you may find some one who has taken his brave pills that day!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had a problem with doing repairs on bonnets, my training involved loads of bonnet repairs.

• 8 months later...

Part of my tailgate is covered in chips that have been badly repaired by the previous owner.

gg0ny.jpg

gg25qo.jpg

These must have been caused by repeatedly opening the boot while inside a garage or something. These chips are only on the bit of the boof that sticks out the furthest.

Do you think Chips Away would be able to repair all of these? Do you think it would be expensive? confused.gif

Also does anybody have the name and number of the Derby Chips Away guy?

They should be able to do them easily. I made a right mess of my bumper on the Peugeot when it scraped along the wall, and they made it look like new. Have a look to see if anything else needs doing, to nip it in the bud early.

Shouldn't cost to much either.