SIX OUT OF SIX: LOEB BREAKS WORLD RECORDS…AGAIN!

News_Stig

481611-loeb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

It’s time to throw away the record books! Sébastien Loeb’s success at the Rally of Argentina this weekend saw him become the first driver in the history of the WRC to win six consecutive races.

Current World Rally champion Loeb and co-driver Daniel Elenas’ latest victory took their personal tally to an unprecedented seven wins this season – another WRC record. With just nine rallies completed so far this year, the domination of the impressive Frenchman is the talk of the rallying world.

This historic win has allowed Loeb, 31, to extend his gap at the top of the leader board to an incredible 27 points, while at the same time helping to move the Citroën team six points clear of their nearest rivals.

In stark contrast to the 50°C temperatures of Greece three weeks earlier, competitors were faced with snow-lined roads and sub-zero temperatures. Going into the final day with a 30 second lead, and the testing Giulio Césare and El Cόndor stages ahead, the result was never wholly secure. However, Loeb is in the form of his life and held his nerve to beat off his nearest challenger, Marcus Grönholm, by just 26 seconds.

Commenting on his place in the record books, Sébastien Loeb, said: "It wasn't easy. You only have to look at the times to see that. I can tell you, I pushed very hard right up to two stages from home. That forced me into a couple of mistakes, notably my spin in yesterday's loop to the south. Once again though, I was able to count on the Xsara's impeccable reliability, while the team didn't put a foot wrong…again. This may be our seventh win of the year, but it only strengthens our resolve to win even more."

Guy Fréquelin, head of the Citroën Team, said: "This is a result I want to savour. I can't get enough of winning, but this result has a special taste. Not only because it was a difficult rally and establishes a new record, but also because we got four Citroëns inside the top-ten and because all this happened in a country that loves its rallying as much as we do."

[/ QUOTE ]

Source: NEWSPRESS.co.uk

Discussion HERE