how to connect Sky + - DVD - rear projector

Mark Lynham

I've got my Sagem rear projection tv arriving on Friday and I want to make sure that I get the best possible picture from it and I currently only use cheap scart leads which i assume will not be up to the job.

I only have a Sky + box and a Sony DVD player which im looking to replace eventually with something like a Denon.

So, whats going to be the best way to connect these together? smile.gif

Mark have you got progressive scan on the Sony DVD??

The SAGEM is loaded to the hilt with 3 x Scarts, auto progressive scan input, DVI/HDMI input etc. So depending upon what output you have from the Sony, depends on whcih input you would use.

My Denon 3910 has scart, progressive scan, dvi and HDMI, and I currently have it connected via the prog scan since I watch a lot of R1 discs.

If the Sony DV is on a scart then a quality scart cable such as a QED, IXOS, MONSTER etc would give you a quality picture.

The Sky box will connect via scart as well, so another quality cable needed.

If you are going to onnect your PC/laptop to the telly, so you can surf the net on the glorious 45" screen then Vivanco can provide a good quality DVI cable for about £25.

Cables make a world of difference. Check the Sony and find out which connections you have then get the necessary cables to hook up to SAGEM.

Any questions with the SAGEM PM me.....and THROW AWAY the cheap plastic black cables that come in the box.....saves you wanting to reject the telly!!

cheers Mose,

Actually i've just looked and its only the Sky+ that has the scart.. the DVD player has Component Video Out (3 jack sockets) and an S-Video Out, or some Video Outs.... confused.gif

Am i right in thinking that some scarts carry sound and picture but the better ones just carry the picture?..

OK then your Sony DVD player is PRGRESSIVE SCAN MATE. So just need to get a good quality cable for PROG SCAN!!

you got mail!!

The better SCARTS have all pins connected and carry sound as well, but also are RGB, so will give you a very good picture.

I been into HC since Marantz brought out the SP-50, the very first Surround Sound processor that worked on a matrixed 4-channel stereo system rather than the pro-logic system that emerged a few years later. So have been into this for 20 odd years. I did have the Pioneer 868 dvd player, but had a lot of problems with the trasnport on it, so decided to ditch it and go balls out for the Denon stuff and Kef 7.1 speaker system. Not had any problems with it at all.

The TV is reliant on the right tools to do the job so a semi decent DVD player will give you superb results. Its worth checking out the Denon 1910 or 2910. I think I'm right in saying that they both have component output on them.

But Denon is just another brand, there are a lot of very good players out there for sensible money. Essentially you would want a player with either DVI and or HDMI to hook up to the D45. I think the Denon players have that as well.

Worth going on AVFORUMS to see what others have to say!!

Sound advice from Mose. I use a similar setup through my plasma. I use the DVD-A1XV going through HDMI and can get 1120i which is a glory to behold.

One other avenue to look at is using an amp, i feed my Sky+ through my Denon A1SE and that feeds into my TV via component and upscales it slightly.

Apart from that Mose is on the ball, just make sure you use scart 1 from your sky box as its the only one that is RGB.

1120i, I bet that is CERTAINLY as site to behold. I have had my 3910 at 1020i but was struggling with some artifacting in the blacks. So, went back to using the prog scan, particularly on R1 discs and its effing glorious!!! Love it.

Things can get a little "too real" though!

I love the depth of detail in PS2 games, I hadnt really paid that much attention to detail when playing stuff on my 32" widescreen, but through the interlaced connection, the detail of the rendered graphics is unbelievable. I had to play Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness again just to take in all that detail I had missed before.

OK......an cos I loved watching Lara's jugs bobbing about on the 50" telly. 123576-assfeck.gif

Pictures from the PS2 on the 50" DLP is stunning and as mentioned before there is now so much depth in the graphics, it makes you want to play games all over again, just to clock the detail missed before. I am using a dedicated MONSTER PS2 cable which has the usual PS2 interface at one end and a set of Gold RCA component leads on the other. This i then being fed into the progressive scan input on my SAGEM and switched to interlaced.

The cable costs £49 from COMET, havent yet seen it in Dixons and there is also a cable available for the Xbox also priced at £49.

Hope this helps 169144-ok.gif