[Audi A3/S3] New A3 3.2 Sportback

Prhim

Not sure if there are any old-timers here, but I used to be a regular contributor back when I had my Misano Red AMD-chipped S3 (which I have regreted selling ever since it went).

Anyway, am about to join the club again as we should be taking delivery of my wife's new 3.2 DSG Sportback in a couple of weeks.

Just up for a bit of advice really. What should I look out for on delivery and how easy do we need to take the first 1,000 or so miles.

Oh, and someone please re-assure me we've done the right thing! Pregnancy forced the sale of our beloved Boxster S, so we wanted something both practical and fast....! Did we get it right?

front-right-small.jpg

This might sound but i always think in a 'what have they done to satisfy themselves that the car is up to standard' kind of way.

They will have a standard checklist that will detail 100 or so checks that should be done when they receive the car. Make sure all of these have been completed as being done and some one has signed to evidence this.

Other than that i would logically and slowly go around the exterior of the vehicle checking up and down and get inside and check all the electronic stuff.

Then Start up the engine and ........floor it!

I agree with misterc beerchug.gif. I would check everything as if this was a second-hand buy. All panels for marks and scratches, wheels and tyres for scrapes and nails (if it is raining when it is delivered ask the stealer to make a note of this as rain will hide certain scratches - this way you'll have some comback should you see one once the sun comes out cool.gif

Get inside and test every electronic gadget to the full and obviously make sure that they have included all the standard equipment plus any extras you ordered. My mate has one of the first 200 A3 TDi S-Lines built and they forgot to put the spoiler on at the factory on these! smashfreakB.gif

Other than that enjoy what should be a cracking car that meets your needs perfectly.

Hi,

I'm in the same boat having to look at selling my Boxster 2.7 due to family reasons.

I have taken a couple of A3 Sportback test drives and it is certainly a great car. I personally didn't like the DSG but I know a lot of people love it. I think they could have made the car a little more practical - things like a flat load bay wouldn't have spoilt the looks but would have made the space more useable.

The finish is superb and at least as good as the Porsche.

Another car I am considering is the new 3 Series. I know this is really a class (size) up on the A3 and hence more expensive, but probably more a drivers car like the 'box'. Not booked my test drive yet. The 1 Series is too small to get our pram in!

Looked at the A4 but it doesn't look as good as the A3 IMHO.

To be honest it is going to be difficult to match the drive of the Boxster. The new Golf GTI is very close, really superb drive, but for me it looks a bit chav and the interior looks cheap compared to previous Golfs, let alone an A3. Pity they cannot get the A3 to drive like the Golf GTI - why is that?

I'm 90% decided to go for a Sportback but I'm waiting for a fast diesel version. I expect by spring next year you'll be able to get a 168bhp diesel with more torque than the Boxster.

Decisions, decisions.

ZMan

[ QUOTE ]

I'm 90% decided to go for a Sportback but I'm waiting for a fast diesel version. I expect by spring next year you'll be able to get a 168bhp diesel with more torque than the Boxster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why deisel, just go for the 3.2 manual S Line with exterior pack and roof bars. 169144-ok.gif

I've certainly considered the 3.2 - is great car without question.

It's just that I fancy a fast diesel having never had one before.

Also:-

expect to be cheaper to buy than 3.2

better residual value than 3.2

more mpg then 3.2

more torque than 3.2?

.... ok I'm a cheap skate!

also, I didn't really take to the DSG which means I'd have to go Quattro which means I loose some boot space ... and even more mpg!

ZMan

I'm thinking about buying a 3.2 Sportback. Not sure about the DSG. I've had a go in an S4 wirh tiptronic and a TT with DSG (my mate is a sales manager for Audi, great job) and tend to find it more of a toy that I eventually end up not using. Perhaps if I owned one I would get used to it and use it more often?

I'm set to borrow the 3 door 3.2 for a day to get a feel for the car - though I am told the Sportback handles a little better and that is what I would buy eventually.

Perhaps you might think it a little strange that the other car on my short list is an RX-8. I really like the look of this car, and a test drive yesterday did not put me off. I like the sound of the engine - it isn't quite a V6 purr, but it has it's own unique quality. The test drive was rather short, but I liked the driving position and the cornering.

I had thought about the TT, but with the replacement out next year, not sure it's such a good time to buy. The grainy spy shot in AutoExpress was a bit off putting too.

News of the specs for the S3 doesn't make me feel like waiting for that.

So its probably an A3 3.2 Sportback +/- S line or an RX-8.

Welcome tameboy! I must admit both cars you are considering are excellent in my opinion. What put me off the RX-8 is the fuel consumption and I felt you had to rev the balls off it to get anywhere (i like lots of torque). Having said that, you are obviously not too bothered about fuel consumption looking at your two choices wink.gif

One other thing to consider is the interior. Again only my opinion, but I felt the Mazda was just not in the same league as the Audi and looked a bit tacky (all those flashing lights on the stereo in the one I tried)

Hope my thoughts help you, either way both great cars 169144-ok.gif

Interestingly, an RX-8 was also on my shopping list, but in the end, I thought the 3.2 Sportback won on a few counts:

1. Engine - even though the RX-8 is smooth, it can't match the six cylinder smoothness you get from a V6. And it doesn't feel like it pulls as much either. I know the RX is fast, it just didn't feel as quick in-gear to me (and yes, I drove the Hi-Power version).

2. Cabin - Audi build and design vs Mazda. No competition.

3. Practicality. Full doors vs 'suicide' doors. Baby on way. Not a tough choice.

4. Handling. I actually found the RX very fidgety on the back roads near me. In comparison, the Audi felt more composed at near-three figure speeds.

Just my personal opinion; but despite how much I like the RX, the audi really was a better choice for us.

Thanks for your comments guys, its helpful to know what you think. I will borrow the A3 3 door 3.2 for a day and have a longer test drive in the RX-8 and then make a decision. I think.

I can't disagree re the interior, but I can't help think I would like a 'sports car' rather than a hatchback. Perhaps 5 years with my Golf has made me tired of owning a hatchback, and approaching 40 makes me want something a little more exciting to prove to myself I'm not too old?

We'll see. confused.gif

tameboy, i, like you, have had this dilemna many times, and many times i have bought other types of cars. The way i see it, If you love hot hatches, it's in your DNA. I sold an A4 for a GTI, then after a GTI T, bought a 3 series sport (thought it would offer me grown up thrills)

but i immediately missed the chuckabilty and chunkiness of a little sporty hatch. So now i have a 3.2 Quattro.

The V6 was never really a hot hatch, more of a quick criser (much like the 3.2). If you're after a really sporty ride, try a new GTI.

It's ride is very comparable to a 911 (believe it or not). Albeit slower!

But one heck of a laugh... it will certainly take you back to the glory days of hot hatches!

Thanks for your views Prhim, much appreciated.

Its great having a mate who is an Audi salesman - I am going to borrow the A3 this weekend, so should get a good feel for it. I will ask Mazda for a longer test drive in the RX-8 next week sometime. And then its decisions decisions. Got to buy quick before my wife makes a decision on a new house and we realise we cannot afford a new car.

Just finished with the A3 - had a great weekend! Enjoyed the DSG when I got used to it. Great feeling paddling down a couple of gears before a tight turn, but I still miss having a clutch. Very comfortable on the motorway, it's nice to slip into D mode and just cruise.

I think I might be looking for something that little more engaging, and despite it's quirks the RX-8 is looking more appealing at present.

Hope to take it for a longer test drive soon. I wonder at giving the GTI a drive too. If the new R32 has the same handling prowess as the GTI, I might regret not waiting to test drive it!

Mike

Just picked up the baby beast today. Only 50-odd miles, so way to soon to come to any sort of conclusion. But looking good so far. Can't wait to start opening up the engine and making proper use of the DSG 'box....

a3-1.jpg

a3-2.jpg

Fitted an ICE>LINK iPod connector in place of the CD changer and (despite a tricky time feeding wires behind dash) all is looking good!

post-1440-137914319827_thumb.jpg