Microsoft "Antispyware" program.

Rustynuts

I just received the weekly copy of newsletter from Spywareinfo.com, and the first issue addressed is detailed as follows.

Quote: -

"First there were the rumors that Microsoft is considering buying Claria, the company responsible for creating and distributing Gator adware. Shortly thereafter, it was discovered that Microsoft's antispyware program has been altered by a program update to ignore all adware automatically.

This seems almost like a repeat of the situation with Yahoo's antispyware toolbar last year. Yahoo and Claria have significant financial dealings through Overture, which is owned by Yahoo. Claria makes the bulk of its income through Overture. Not long after Yahoo included an antispyware scanner into their Internet Explorer toolbar, it was discovered that they had altered it to ignore adware.

Yahoo's toolbar uses spyware detection code licensed from PestPatrol (now owned by Computer Associates). PestPatrol's own antispyware program did not have the ability to ignore all adware, only individual products if the user chose to ignore them. After experiencing a massive run of bad publicity, Yahoo changed their toolbar so that it would detect adware by default.

Microsoft's first response to questions about their antispyware program ignoring Claria was to refuse to comment. Their second response was to flatly deny that Claria is receiving any special favors. They claim now that the change was made in order to be "fair and consistent" with how Microsoft AntiSpy handles adware from companies similar to Claria. As it turns out, several adware products have been placed on AntiSpy's ignore list.

Whatever the reason, this means that Gator, Dashbar and other adware could install on a computer supposedly protected by Microsoft AntiSpy, without warnings popping up. Since Microsoft altered their users' settings without informing them, those users may not realize that they have to change their ignore list in order to detect these adware programs. If a user runs a scan of their hard drive, those adware programs will not show up in the results because they are on the ignore list.

The question that needs to be asked now is: "Can Microsoft's AntiSpy program be trusted?". It is bad enough that they decided to move all adware products to the ignore list by default. However loudly the adware industry screams that their software is not malicious, the fact remains that very few people want it on their computer. People use antispyware scanners because they expect them to find adware as well as the truly malicious stuff.

The problem is that Microsoft used an update to the program to alter their users' settings, without informing them. They may think that adware should be on the ignore list but I seriously doubt that their users would agree. Their users expected that the program would alert them to the presence of adware. Since as far back as late March, these users have been unprotected by a program they were told they could trust. Well, that trust has been broken. Can this program ever be trusted again?

Update After I wrote this but, thankfully, before sending it out, more rumors have surfaced about the Microsoft/Claria acquisition talks. According to an article on ClickZ News, Microsoft has abandoned the idea of purchasing Claria. It would seem that the bad press they received over the rumor caused them to abandon the idea. I believe that odd sound you hear is the entire internet breathing a sigh of relief."

End quote.

Interesting.

More reason than any if you ask me to always use more than one. I have found MS Anti to be very poor at finding anything considering its the only software that runs regularly and sits in the background.

Adaware and Spybot always seem to find more. 169144-ok.gif

Just as a test I have just run all three on both of my PCs.

MS Anti - Found nothing on either PC.

Ad-aware - 42 things on Laptop and 19 on the PC. Some important others not.

Spybot - 11 on the PC and a massive 93 on my laptop.

I hadn't run Ad-aware or Spybot for a month, but MS Anti runs all the time. I certainly wouldn't rely on it after doing the above back to back test.

EEK2.GIF

Having spent a couple of hours today trying to sort out an issue when I browse our internal workgroup in the office (message comes back stating "server is not configured for transactions"). I have concluded that MS anti spyware is a bag of shite!

It has not picked up anything on my machine.

One interesting thing I have discovered though is that spy doctor (free to download and run) comes back and tells you there are a ridiculous number of infections. Then you have to pay to clean them. Makes me wonder if it is just marketing BS.

Anyway, anyone know how to overcome the server is not configured for transactions problem? I have tried net share $IPC!