VW Golf Mk3 Jolting Around?

christos

Hey... i recently purchased a VW Golf MK3 1.4 K-reg second hand and it seemd to be working perfectly until i hit around 70-80mph and then it starts jolting like made as if its about to stall.. i changed the oil several times and also reset the pressure guages and the oil pressure is fine (according to mechanic) and this only helps but does not fix the problem.. does anybody have any ideas that would be great. thanks smile.gif

post-10679-137914320826_thumb.jpg

Just a wild guess here, but I'm suspecting a head gasket failure. Is there any white sludge on the underside of the oil filler cap?

A friend of mine once had a Scirrocco GTI which drove fine until he got going on the motorway, then the whistles and bells sounded. Ended up needing a new head as it was cracked. confused.gif

hhhmmm... that may be a possibility and i will reccomend it to my mechanic as im not the mechanic here :P... also i was told that it may be a "Intermittent cut-out" however the thing is it does not seem to cut out... the only time it actually turned off was when i was at an uphill and i was stationary and went to start it just didnt seem to have much power... possible coil? any other ideas would be great and thanks

You see my plan here is I'll make completely the wrong diagnosis, and someone better versed in petrol engines will come along and laugh at me, then tell you what's really going on. I'm only guessing 'cos I'm a diesel head, and it's a lot of years since I drove petrol. But as no-one else is coming along, for now you'll have to listen to me blathering on. smile.gif

My theory here is that when things get hot, the head warps and compression is lost into either the coolant system or the oil system. As the head warps, it could also mean water gets the opposite way and into the combustion chamber, leading to poor starting and lack of power/missing.

Is there any sign of white smoke out of the exhaust at any time? Any loss of coolant? Water in the oil we've discussed (white sludge). Oil in the water, is there any discolouration of the coolant?

a good thought i may do it.. im thinking its an oil leak... or my car is burning too much oil because i toped it up yesterday and checking today its dropped down way to much almost to minimum and i had it just under maximum... 2moro i will check for sludge.. the problem was road speed related however it now seems to be doing it even idle.. thanks guys

I am no expert!! (beteter start with that smile.gif )

It could be a number of things. I had one that burnt oil because the previous owner over filled it to quieten it has a hydraulic cam follower had broken, didn't quieten it and he damaged every valve stem seal. Not sure that would burn as much oil as you seem to be using.

I have had diesels for many years now, things may have changed alot?

It could be an oil scraper ring has collapsed on one cylinder, then it depends how much damage it has done to the cylinder bore as to if you can just replace the rings or need to rebore or replace the block. I would expect major and expensive engine work to fix your car, if your willing to remove the engine and strip it down the costs will be much lower. Depending on milage i would look at replacing most bearings and having the cam and crank checked while your in a position to. I have done this sort of work, but i did it out of interest in engines and to play smile.gif

A replacement engine might be easier. First thing is a compression test to determine if it is a cylinder and which one.

Our proper experts will be along soon, they will know what happens with the modern engines smile.gif . I could have it all wrong.

Hopefully i have 169144-ok.gif

RobK