choices choices!

bal5sidhu

Hi Aswall....The connection is that my home studio system uses two Macs with massive storage (currently 380Gb - I'm a musician) and so it's easy and natural to use Apple's iTunes software for loading playlists to the iPods and then simply connect to the car. I can also burn my own CDs of course. My playlists continually change and my music collection is big. I prefer to manage all my music from my studio rather than additionally store on a big hard drive (if a big enough one is available!) in a car.

It's just my own preference on how I like to handle and load my music and not due to any opinion that it's the best way or not.

However, there might be an issue about how another system such as an in-car hard drive with some kind of operating system handles different iPods. iPods usually exclusively dedicate themselves to only one 'mother' at a time when outputting. I don't know cos the question doesn't arise because each of my two Macs has its own iPod. It may sound extravagent but both my iPods were gifts.

Another reason is that I've already got all the gear and only have to buy a head unit.

I've always liked Pioneer car audio and they also make the SuperDrive in one of my Macs....Apple only use good gear. I am as biassed about Macs as I am about the Mk5 GTI!!

Ah got you, thought you meant you were under the impression that you could only use iPods with Macs. I use both Macs and PCs but prefer to use my ipod/itunes combo on the PC as it's faster and has a vastly bigger hard drive as my music library is huge. I also listen to Podcasts in the car and connect my Ipod to the PC every night so that iTunes can sync the latest editions automatically

spankit 169144-ok.gif ....Thanx for this info but my iPods are both Shuffles and connect via USB rather than a recharging dock. As I very much enjoy the unknown of what track will play next, I prefer the iPod Shuffle and don't need any track name or info readout but just the volume which I have on my MultiFun(ctional) Wheel.

VW are only just catching up with the bigger iPod and haven't sussed the Mini or Shuffle yet! As the late great Freddie Mercury said: "I want it ALL, and I want it NOW!"

An ordinary ipod connected in the glovebox would give you the same, as all versions of the ipod have always had the shuffle facility, it's how I listen to my music most of the time.

The Mini and Shuffle ranges will shortly disappear to be replaced by a product which will unify the low end range by using the flash memory of the shuffle (but in bigger 2 and 4 gig sizes supplied by Samsung) but with the screen and control layout of the Mini. The device will be inbetween the two in size

Yes I know all iPods can do the funky shuffle but I was given both my Shuffles completely free of charge (well, actually no because I had to pay effing duty on the one given to me via door to door courier from Adobe in Seattle). Anyway it doesn't make sense for me to go out and buy another type of iPod.

Re a new iPod version: There's always something interesting over the horizon isn't there!

Cheers 169144-ok.gif