BMW 645Ci - 2,000 miles gone in 30 minutes!!!!!

NewNiceMrMe

I'm going to be calling my dealership tomorrow.

My car has done 1,250 miles to date. That's in 6 weeks. The Service Level Indicator was showing 13,700 miles when earlier today the wife, myself and the kids went to the Metro Centre.

That takes 30 minutes - there and back - and about 18 miles in total.

That being the case I think my car must have taken itself for the hammering of a lifetime around the car park whilst we were shopping - and not budged the odometer either.

Why? Because when we pulled up on the drive at home I decided to swap the cars around and wash mine straight away. So, when re-starting it....imagine my horror when I spotted the service level indicator had moved to a very round 11,000 miles until due!!!!

WTF!!!!! Ermmm, the M3's I have had have adjusted distances depending on driving/requirements etc - but never ever have I seen car lose 1,700 miles when not moving!!!!

I got the service inclusive thrown in of course so it doesn't really bother me too much - but I want to know how on earth a car can lose 1,700 miles like that!!!! The most the M3's ever re-adjusted was by about 100 miles now and again!!!!

When you bear in mind that 600 of the 1,250 miles I have done were on a trip I wouldn't normally do then I've averaged little more than 100 miles a week since I got the car. So, on that basis, the service level indicator has just taken 17 weeks, or a good 3 months, of motoring off me!!!

No way! I'll post the answer when I find out what the hell it has done!

Bloody heck,

I thought the service intervals on the M3 were a bit rough. When the M3 had the oil change, it registered at 12328 on the dash. Service level indicator went back to 15450 and is currently at 11400 after driving 3500m since oil change. So have really only lost 500 odd miles literally starting the car up and doing short trips.

I did get BMW to check this once before as it seemed that the car was dropping 50m a time instead of the usual 25m at a time. BMW looked at it, revised the "firm ware" and I really didnt notice any difference to be honest.

But from what you are saying that seems a very sxcessive drop and definately needs querying.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

how would you explain that to the wife

[/ QUOTE ]

Some things require no explanation. Especially when they involve anything damaging my vehicles!grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,

kidnapping cats is quite common these days, so the easiest excuse to use.

few weeks back I had problems with a cat that the nearest neighbours own, the little sod was doing my head in, always sat on the roof when I came out in the mornings.

Was washing the car recently and the little black sod was walking past, so got him with the pressure washer. He hasnt been back since.

The cat literally took off. Best money I ever spent just for that alone!

It's got worse, much much worse! shocked.gif

I rang the dealer and they said that dropping 2,700 miles (which is actually what it was because I'd miscalculated it!) did seem rather odd but that the only thing to do was to leave it a week or so and see what happened. i-Drive's Service settings weren't showing any warnings etc so I did as they said.

Well....this morning I started it up...and it had dropped to....4,800 miles until next service!!!!!!!!! That means 6,200 miles had gone missing when the car hadn't moved! confused.gif

Eeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! EEK2.GIF

Anyway, I went for a short run to the shops in it..and when I got back in it to come home....it had dropped to 1,300 miles until next service!!! 3,500 miles in 10 minutes! That must be a speed record! SAUER0421.GIFyelrotflmao.gif

I took it straight to the dealers who looked at the information held on the key and straight away started laughing. They admitted it would be nice if every car needed a 15,000 mile service after doing a mere 1,200 or so miles but proclaimed it was without doubt a software issue and that the computer needing it's timings resetting.

They checked the oil and said it was perfectly fine (because i-Drive was reporting it was an Oil Change that was required in 1,300 miles) and that they'd get it sorted. So it's booked in for a weeks time whilst I am away and hopefully when I come back I shall have regained 13,700 miles of motoring!!! grin.gif169144-ok.gif

• 4 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Bloody heck,

I thought the service intervals on the M3 were a bit rough. When the M3 had the oil change, it registered at 12328 on the dash. Service level indicator went back to 15450 and is currently at 11400 after driving 3500m since oil change. So have really only lost 500 odd miles literally starting the car up and doing short trips.

I did get BMW to check this once before as it seemed that the car was dropping 50m a time instead of the usual 25m at a time. BMW looked at it, revised the "firm ware" and I really didnt notice any difference to be honest.

But from what you are saying that seems a very sxcessive drop and definately needs querying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that, My mate has bought a CLS350Merc covered 2000miles and the service indicator has come up says 8K to service, he went to the supplying dealership and they said that its on timer, and it has been shipped some weeks/months before he took delivery and the time has ticked away, what Bo****ks is that, and he HAS TO PAY for service on the merc. Not me mate. crazy.gifopenfire.gif

Hmm, I'd certainly take issue with that.

The dealership should reset the timer before delivery. See, BMW's are the same. There are two ways the service indicator can be activated to say 'time for service' (you know what I mean!).

Mileage - i.e. ticking down to zero

Time - i.e. ticking down to 12 months from the point at which it was reset

On the 6 for example, it's set at 5th August 2006 - a year after I picked it up. So, if I haven't done the mileage that would demand a service (which I won't have), it'll tell me there is only so long to go before a service by showing a little clock on the dashboard next to the service counter. Then, when the date comes or has passed, the clock will do a dance or something silly.

Clever eh.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

got him with the pressure washer.......cat literally took off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe! You've discovered that too eh! I pratice it every week. I regularly managed to blast one of them off the top of the fence. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

Cruel - yes.

Funny - very.

That seriously had me 'lol'ing - everyone in the office thinks i've gone mad!!

jump.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...