noisy engine

davd

i have just got 53 reg passat tdi 130 but find the engine noisy when accelerating away compared to the HDI Peugeot witch i used to have, it sounds like a vibration or blowing exhaust but i cannot find either fault.

is this normal for VWs to have a throaty roar when accelerating

mine does this, not over bad though. According to our resident VW techie.... Its the airbox that vibrating on your bonnet. Look for marks like these on this picture.

538939-MAF.JPG

Its the air intake part that rubs, you can see the shinny line where it touches. A replacement part is about £15 according to Mulkbear. Try covering it with a piece of foam etc see if it is that thats causing the noise.

How many miles do you have? MInes 147k and seems slightly noisy when accelerating

thanks my air intake was loose and i wedged a bit of foam rubber and it did help but there is still some noise,trouble is there is that many plastic covers in the engine compartment, imay go and buy a new part.

otherwise i think the passat tdi beats the peugeot hdi in every way

I had 406 but it was no where near as comfortable or as good at handling as VW and it got a bit dated in looks.

New 407 looks ok but i will wait a couple of years before i change.

Buy for now i will stick with passat it beat peugeot hands down.iam getting 49mpg and i dont hang about