Autocar

Simonl

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Yeh but i want a weekly, and prefer Autocar to Auto Express. Anyway, look at the pictures, read the articles (then iginore them) and work out for yourself what to believe... that's how i digest it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem there is that they make the pictures up as well ices_blah.gif

To be fair, it's a problem of weekly mags i.e. there just isn't enough interesting car related news happening weekly, so they have to invent things to fill the pages. They're both just as bad but Autocar tend to be a bit more "creative" in making concrete news out of a vague rumour and then telling you they said something else when they're shown to be wrong smashfreakB.gif

Chris Harris's in his review seems to have the bigest bone-on over the gti yet. "The best new car you can buy..." A 'suit' next to me was reading the same gti article. Think he thought I was mad (WELL i AM). Had the stupid smug grin on my head saying I've got one, and if you want one you'll have to join the orderly line forming outside vw dealers. jump.gif

I have subscribed to Auto Express for many years now. You learn to ingnore some of the crap, but its reviews of the GTI helped make my decision to switch from an Audi TT to a Mk5 GTI. A decision that I do not regret at all.

Auto Express gives me enough information at a bargain price if you subscribe. If I need any more info, I can go into W H Smiths and learn more.

I did once subscribe to Autocar, but more often than not, they were testing or raving about some new German car, at the time, I could not afford. Autocar seem to over review Mrec, BMW & Porsche.

Auto Express product test many car related items and have 'Best Buys'. Very revealing.

Anyway, I shall steal my brothers copy of Autocar and read about the GTI.

Here is the Chris Harris article in full; I think he quite likes it... wink.gif

"The Golf GTi is the best new car you can buy. Sorry if this landmark opinion arrives a touch late in the day, but it's taken me this long to pinch a drive in one. As is the case with all superior individuals contesting in a competitive environment, I was left feeling a pang of consolation for rival cars attempting to match its omnipotent skill set. Others do some things marginally hot-hatchier, but the clever bunce has to go on the Golf. But from where did this inspiration emanate? Testing a new Golf GTi through the '90s became tiresome. Too little conviction, infantile power outputs and, with the Mk4 especially, so much lard that you suspected if you poked the flared bits behind the rear arches they'd wobble. Dull cars, all of them.

So VW added a big V6, and in a rather amusing nod to medical vernacular called it 4Motion. It too was rubbish. Then it gave us the R32, which was less rubbish but had the nastiest throttle mapping of any modern car. Trotting out that old guff about days of yore when men wore loin-cloths, carried a Filofax and a Mk2 16v was the car to drive didn't rub. VW had lost its mojo; might just as well have never built a decent GTi for all the sparkle that was rubbing off on contemporary versions. The transformation into edition five is therefore difficult to understand. To quantify how far it has progressed as a car to enjoy-all in the space of a generation: imagine Eddie the Eagle Edwards breezing a gold medal at the next Winter Olympics. Did VW look to its laurels, go group-tantric to rediscover its inner soul and reclaim the essence of a fine, fast shopping trolley? Was the retro wind-tunnel advert in fact a true representation of the R&D process that wrought this fantastic car? Was it heck. VW just poached a few key bods from the original Ford Focus project, wired them into the Wolfsburg supercomputer and streamed their knowledge at 2GB per second. Easy job.

But the resulting car is more significant than simply being a single-model resurrection. The greatness of the original GTi lay in it being all the car you'd ever need. I've always held a suspicion that if VW hadn't made such a horlicks of versions three and four, then the BMW3-series might not be quite so prevalent on these shores. People would have had another choice. If you'd offered me an R32 or a BMW 330i last year, the Bimmer would have cracked the nod without hesitation. Fast forward to 2005 and I'd take the Golf- even allowing for the 330 being an exceptionally capable car.

In being so energetic, so compliant, so damn good at everything, VW has restored the GTi to its rightful spot as all the car you'd ever need. Put in that context, the £19,995 price seems good value to me, and besides, whatever the premium is in the showroom you'll make the difference back when you chop it in for something else.

The biggest barrier to GTi ownership will be our UK-specific obsession with brand graduation. Owners who feel they have done the GTi thing and progressed to sexier badges will tend to ignore this car, and in doing so will miss out on what could potentially be the best car they've ever owned.

It seems Bernd Pischetsrieder's Ratner-style outburst the other week was fully justified. The only mistake he made was stating that a Vee-Dub will do the same job as an Audi for less cash. The Golf GTi does a better job than any Audi - and for that matter, any other car on sale."

Funny, I thought the article looked longer than that as printed - Just shows how much those journos cheat! Still, simkna did really well with a text phone in WHSmiths! wink.gif

Great that the GTI is still getting rave reviews. Are you going to get one simkna? - C'mon, you know you want to!

Cheers mate 169144-ok.gif

P.S.- Having met Si I can tell everyone that it really is simkna you can see playing with his cars in his avatar!

Intersting piont Harris makes re the BMW and the Golf. We have a 320d as well as the GTi and as impressive as the beemer is (and that 2.o litre deisel is very quick) the Golf is piling on the mile very quickly. Even the kids prefer Daddys Razzy car.

But - just at the moment 50 mpg out of the Beemer is very much appricated.