[Audi A2] Audi A2 Sport Suspension wheels and tyres

JimO

The sports suspension pack comes with 205 X 40 very low pro tyres. Looks great, excellent cornering BUT the Wheel rims stick out further than the tyres and my wife keeps on kirbing them.

1. can I fit wider section tyres (say 210 or 215)to protect rims, or can I buy tyres with a "rim protector" thats wide enough?

2.Will wider tyres have a bigger rolling circumfirance and upset the speedo/Antilock brake electronics.

3. If so can i get the electronics recalibrated?

1. You need to find the width of the wheel to see what width tyre you can fit. The manual may state the width with the diameter (eg 8J x 18 or something). You should be able to go a little bit wider if the current tyres aren't wider than the wheel rims. You can get tyres with more pronounced side strips, but I think that's just a variation across brands rather than being a "trainer tyre" (for want of a better phrase!) - when I had the RS 6, the factory Pirellis were narrower than the wheel rim, but the Contis I fitted afterwards were slightly wider.

2. Possibly, depending upon the aspect ratio. Your current tyres are 205/40, which means the sidewall is 82mm (40% of 205). Changing for wider tyres at the same aspect ratio would mean a higher widewall, so a bigger circumference. Check the online calculator here to see how much difference various combinations make.

3. I'm not too sure about the speedo dial, although common sense says it must be possible as various A2s come with various size wheels/tyres, and they can't all have different dash pods. The internal electronics that run ABS/ECU and related things like DIS (where fitted) should be possible to recalibrate with a dealer's diagnostic tool, or a VAG-COM. Depending on how friendly you are with your dealer, you might be able to ask them for advice.