passat running probs

sparkie69

car = vw passat 1990 variant eng code 2E digifant inj 252000 miles bought @100000 miles owned 12 years......

the prob =starting / idle / running fine until full temp reached ( 88 degrees )

once reached full temp intermitent fault occurs while driving sudden power loss occurs about 1 to 2 seconds usualy about 1 sec apart

this occurs whenever it feels like it coming and going to suit itself

step on the clutch the idle is still fine

only the normal driving affected

thanks for any sugestions / answers /etc

from a new member

pump was renewed 6 months ago when old one failed

the fuel pump can be heared to buzz quite happily without a change in pitch ( i.e its noise is constant throughout )there are no signs of it stopping or cutting out at all so i am asuming this being the case the relay must be sending a constant supply of power to it

cold days are generally better ( but only slightly )

main factor of prob is once warm keep the left foot ready to dump clutch smile.gif or ya gonna head but the screen lol

god i hate intermitent problems

thanks for your reply m8 any more sugestions please feel free to voice as this prob will get wiped out i never give up

wink.gif

the prob only happens when the car reaches full warm up

its absolutely fine till then

in my mind its an ignition component or part of the ecu,s system maybe a switch or sensor confined to normal running not warm up

thanks for reply though you never know where the answer will come from but 1 things for sure when i find it it will be posted for all to see wink.gif

sounds a tricky one, try doing some logs on VAG COM see if that finds a problem with a sensor once warmed up. Worth a try, do you have VAG COM? If not, post your location in the VAG COM section see if anyone local can help you.

It will take a few runs to get all the logs, might find something strange on a sensor that'll point you in the right direction

Long shot but...

many years ago I had a problem similar to what you describe. Took me ages to find it. Turned out one of the hoses had a small - and I mean very small - hole in it. When the engine got up to temperature a very fine mist came out of the hose and wet a plug - hence loss of power. Idle was fine - no load. When it cut out as it sometimes did then by the time you'd popped the bonnet and got out the damp had evaporated and the leak stopped - water pump not going any more. And such a small leak that the coolant level didn't (noticably) go down - which is one of the reasons I didn't cotton on for a while as to what was happening.

thanks all ..long shots can pay off ( i never rule them out) if poss a bit more strait foreward info on the vag com would be apreciated im seeing a lot the more i browse around the forum

a link to a full plain english web site perhaps that details what it is , how is used etc ?

does this apply to my 1990 vehicle ?

as always ty to all all sugestions greatfully recieved and logged with the weekend on the way time is coming to dive in and get the hands dirty ( i love it realy wink.gif )

see if something shows up

again ty all and keep em coming the answer is there somewhere

• 2 weeks later...