Replacing indicator bulbs on a 2001 Passat

pugboy

In one of my more anal moments I decided it would be a good idea to replace the standard amber bulbs with some fancy ones (clear, but light up orange).

Purchased them off the web for a few quid and went to pop them in the car yesterday. Am I right in thinking you have to remove all sorts of gubbins like the air filter box etc just to change a bulb?! Thats bloody annoying!

Any tips or should I just get the tools out and start dismantling?

I may have had 'issues' with my Passat but I have to say, changing bulbs couldn't be easier. Yes you have to take some minor air filter trunking off but it's only push fit so no problems there. The other side is a bit of a knukle scraper but no real problem either. Trust me, I changed mine for OSRAM Diadems and they looked great, I hate the Tango look and always change them. G

Good luck changing them and do realise when you've got things good. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some Phillips Vision Plus headlight bulbs from my local motor factor today £15 per pair, fitted them to dipped beam okay.....but how do you access the main beam bulbs?? I've seen the triangular shaped panel which unclips but how do you get in there unless you have foot long fingers confused.gif

B5.5 - The one with the indicators in the headlights. I think from about early/mid 2004 - Nov 2005

B5 - The slightly older one with the indicators on the panel by the front wheel. I think from V - end 2003.

I'm guessing as I have a B5.5 - slight differences from B5 and B6 - its an in betweeny - has some bits from the B6 (mirrors, switches, some other minor bits) and a lot from the B5.

I think it may have been the hybrid to test some new ideas before the relaunch this year.

and of course there was the small revision to the passat range sometime around 03/04 ish. The SE was upgraged to body colour chrome inserts and in dash cd changer etc..

And at that time the badging changed too as they dropped one of the diesel engines in the range. a PD130 lost the red D and so on.

So that makes them B5.5 mark II type b version 4 or something like.

Still not as bad as the ford focus, they had 3 or 4 revisions in a year! (well almost).

[ QUOTE ]

B5.5 - The one with the indicators in the headlights. I think from about early/mid 2004 - Nov 2005

B5 - The slightly older one with the indicators on the panel by the front wheel. I think from V - end 2003.

I'm guessing as I have a B5.5 - slight differences from B5 and B6 - its an in betweeny - has some bits from the B6 (mirrors, switches, some other minor bits) and a lot from the B5.

I think it may have been the hybrid to test some new ideas before the relaunch this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should have said indicators in the mirrors - not the headlights - must concentrate on typing rather than the wife!