Dubai hotels

A4CabGirl

Evening all,

We are off to Dubai next March for a short break on the way back from a tour in India. Can't decide which hotel. We are looking at the Hilton Jumeirah, Sheraton, Oasis beach or similar.

Anyone been to any of these and can offer some advice ? I know that there is a lot of building work going on.

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

A4CG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We stayed in Burj-al-Arab for 2 nights and Jumeirah Beach hotel for 4 nights ealrier this year.

The Burj was outrageous in every respect, very expensive but an unforgettable experience and I'm glad we went there. Service was exemplary.

The Jumeirah Beach was fine, but quite ordinary in comparison, very conveniently located for the wadi-wadi park (free entrance) but quite family oriented.

The Madinat Jumeirah resort (Mina A' Salam etc) nearby may be a very good compromise.

Sidicks

• 3 weeks later...

The Burj is a 7* hotel I believe ... If this is the one I am thinking of, my parents went for their buffet and apparently it is very nice with an extensive menu. Drinks are about £8 regardless of what you order so, Whiskey is £8 and so is Orange Juice. Try and c if u can get a glass of Crystalle for that much wink.gif If you ask nicely, they may even take you to the floor which has the fish tank. Companies donate money to maintain this fishtank and apparently it fills the whole room with this tank. Its not open to the public but ask nicely and u might get to go. My parents were allowed to see the tank and they said it was very nice indeed.

• 2 months later...

Last time in Dubai I had to make a reservation for afternoon tea in the Burj as they no longer allow non residents to cross the bridge as they once did. Also be wary if you book for afternoon tea that they don't put you in the mezzanine level restaurant as opposed to the observation bar. Afternoon tea was about £25 per head but the view of the new palm tree islands is stunning.

• 3 weeks later...

I had dinner in the Burj in the restaurant with the fish tank, it was mad! Seafood restaurant and all, kept thinking I was eating one of their mates grin.gif

What was mad was the price, we nailed £350 for the two of us, and the wife was pregnant so wasn't drinking tongue.gif

Cocktail bar at the top was pretty mad also, a bizarre place from top to bottom.

We stayed in the Royal Mirage, very nice indeed.

With regards to wheelchair access, our hotel was pretty straight forwards, not on many levels and plenty of lifts (I remember as the wife was expecting).

All the best

Ben

No probs,

We were right next to it, didn't spoil the holiday, gave me something to look at to be honest - if you like watching an island created that is grin.gif

We went in April/May and it was 90 odd, the sea was also like a bath. Any time after May then apparently you will roast.

Another good thing was that on Fridays they power boat race in front of the hotel which rocked.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of the works if you like?

Cheers

Ben

Apparently can be 50+ in high summer, not something I'd personally like, plus the sea gets to 100f cool.gif

Here's a few pics as promised, we were next to the Palm which was being built so had no actual building works right next to us which some hotels are plagued with. The Palm is being built 24/7/365, but does get quieter at night.

The last pic is the cocktail bar at the Burj, proper 70's grin.gif

Cheers

Ben

684147-dubai1.JPG

post-82-137914342455_thumb.jpg

Here's my photos from Dubai: http://photobucket.com/albums/v632/bluelightbabe/Dubai%202004/

My brother lives out there so I have pretty much an open invitation over there, although I've only been once.

We had a trip to the Burj as my brother's friend's sister works there and gave us a guided tour, including bits that not even some staff get to see and afternoon tea on the house 169144-ok.gif

Anybody that's going over should tune into Channel 4 FM and listen to my brother 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

is it really expensive in Dubai? I'm starting to hear things like £100 for 4 drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horse sh1t.

Even in the Burj the cocktails were about £8 and in our hotel about a fiver.

They must have been in a strip club or something for £25 a drink 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

yea, £4 a pint is realistic - £100 for 4 drinks is a laugh!

Get yourself to the Dubai Yacht Club too - lovely setting away from the beach / runescape of to building site AKA Jumeira Beach ROLLEY~14.GIF

If you are into holidays with some history / things to do / see, dont bother with Dubai. Go to Oman or similar. I will never go to Dubai again, unless it's a stop over (even then, i doubt i would leave the airport...).

Its VERY boring for someone like me, but great if you are into decent hotels (you wont go wrong wherever you pick) with great service and a smile, where you relax and do nowt for 14 days - in fact, probably unbeatable. 169144-ok.gif