creaking plastic

Tomk

there are lots of creaks and noises from the plastic , around the glove box, the arm rest , everything makeing that creeking noise.. its really annoying , ive tried some teflon oil and cant stop it ! any advice ? ( dont suggest getting a new car... ) i also cant track down 100% were they are coming from... so want to try and stop it all ! soemnoe help ! im going mad !

I don't know how long you've had the car or even if you bought it new but it shouldn't make any noise all all. My Passat had quite a few dash squeeks because it had a dash out repair to the heater matrix and as usual, the VW Tech didn't put it back in very well. It might be worth investigating to see if your dash has ever been out. Failing that, have a good look around and tighten any screws you can see, shove the front seats back and get on the floor in the footwell. There are loads of bolts holding it in place but it'll probably be one of the smaller screws that's causing the problem. There's no easy fix mate, it's just trial and error. Try not to use too much plasic and rubber lube, it tends to stain if you're overly generous. Good luck. 169144-ok.gif

Vagparts sell anti-rattle tape 169144-ok.gif

Not tried it myself but was considering it when I had the S3 - they do suffer from rattles and creaks more than the other audis. You'll probably find that the noise from the glovebox is where the latch mechanism it attached to the lid, undo the torx screws a touch and put some tape between them and tighten them up again - it worked for me.

Arm rest is a trickier one - i found that it was coming from the latch (again) but there was little that i could find to fix the problem.

Teflon oil wont really work as it's two hard pieces of plastic rubbing together which seems to be the problem - try the anti rattle tape from vagparts, it's cheap so well worth a try.

I also had a rattle coming from the handbrake lever which was solved by wedging a piece if electricians tape inside it smile.gif

Whoever now owns my S3 will have a shock if they start stripping the car - they'll find tape and rags wedged all over the place which i used to stop the squeaks and rattles smile.gif

So much for Audi build quality... FIREdevil.gifwink.gif

Actually, that does make me feel a bit better. Having told the world how the build on the new Subaru Legacy is as good as any Lexus or Audi, I've got one of those really annoying squeaky rattles that only happens on slightly rougher tarmac surfaces. Seems to be coming from somewhere near the driver's side vent (or maybe below it).

Sod's law that all the roads round the dealership are billiard table smooth, so even if I mention it when it goes in for service next week there's little chance they'll be able to do anything about it. tongue.gif