3.0 A4 Tdi just arrived BUT

Cardinals

Congratulations on the new toy 169144-ok.gif

Someone else asked about the seatbelt bong a while back - I think the conclusion was it could be turned off but only through VAG-COM.

There is a meeting next weekend in Buxton (not far from you?) - I don't know if anyone going has access to VAG-COM but it may be worth asking.

How are you finding the 3.0 Tdi?

VAG-COM is basically the plug in electronic gismo you can use for changing all sorts of settings. There is a forum dedicated to it on Tyresmoke here.

A dealer would certainly have the ability to do it but whether they would is another thing. They can't be seen to be disabling "safety" features I would guess. I remember I once asked a Ford dealer about disabling a passenger airbag (long story) but they refused to even consider it on safety grounds.

You best bet is to find someone local with a VAG-COM who can do it for you 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cardinals I am considering buying the 3.0TDI Q and would love to know what you think of it. Very interested in performance and fuel economy. What specs did you go for? Any pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Frodo

Quick update and I'll post a review later.

Generally I'm very pleased with the car. I had to swop my R32 in as company policy dictated that we all moved to diesels. I couldn't bring myself to buy a BMW and that left the Audi as the quickest car that I could find for the budget.

It is a rapid beast, I would guess as quick as the R32 once you're over 50 mph. I should probably have gone for the Tiptronic as I seem to be spending a lot of my time stirring gears (and it's not an overly pleasant gearbox).

It is a relaxed and quiet ride though the downside is spade loads of understeer.

Sat Nav Plus is better than the Golf's version though it really needs Bose. The MP3 bit is pretty neat though.

On the whole I would say go for it, I haven't seen anything quicker or more comfortable in this price range.

MPG: About 40 on the motorway and 27 - 35 everywhere else.

Cheers

Cardinal S

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Milo

Reason for disabling seatbelt 'bong' is lots of short trips as I'm too lazy to walk!

Is VAG-COM an Audi programming device? Do you think a dealer could do it?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

MMmm I can see the reasoning but its still flawed logic. My Mum hit a bollard at low speed sub 10 mph in a car park years ago and she hadn't put her seatbelt on yet, she has a habit of doing that. She ended up with very bad bruising across her chest from the wheel and her face.

People need to see what its like when you hit an object even at low speed, it can hurt a lot, and a seatbelt will help you not get injured. Plus you never can tell when someone is about to come round the corner even on a quiet housing estate and hit you. Mummies in MPVs aren't generally slow or good drivers.

So belt up on every trip.. it takes seconds to put on there really is not reason not to. znaika.gif

Clunk click on every trip.

169144-ok.gif

Point taken CarMad but if people want to drive without a seatbelt it's their choice I suppose.

If someone chooses not to wear a seatbelt then they do so with full knowledge of the possible consequences.

Similarly it takes no effort to stick to the speed limits really and there is no reason not to, but do we all do it 100% of the time? If there was a "bong" which chimed every time you went 1 mph over the limit I bet there would be a queue of people on here wanting access to a VAG-COM 169144-ok.gif