R32 steering

aswall

Finally got round to reading the mag reviews of the R32 today and I noticed they didn't go overboard on it, with Autoexpress not even sure if it was better than the GTI (which for £3k extra is worrying, especially considering the close performance and fuel economy deficit)

However, I did notice amongst all the info, that VW have moved to correct one of the few faults on the GTI and made the R32 steering rack ratio higher. This was one of the things I commented early on and is still something that bugs me when flicking around the tight roads round here. I would imagine that this rack will go into the GTI before too long which will make a great car even better grin.gif

I find the feedback and turning circle superb too but I have found the 'gearing' tricky like Aswell has. It's on very tight twisties when driving hard that's it's evident and at those moments I'm very glad I'm not driving in manual mode or a manual version. It's so bad in this respect that it has caused me to even wonder if my steering technique is at fault but Aswell finds similar.

The actual steering wheel itself is superb and up to the excellent standard of the seats. It's the most comfortable and ergonomic wheel I have ever used (Especially after the Reliant Robin!).

Btw, Sports mode is awesome in tight twisties - it responds instantly to your brake/throttle actions.

The combination of seats/wheel/pedals results in a very physically natural driving experience. Add to this the responsiveness/handling/performance and this is what makes the Mk5 GTI a car I get very enthusiastic about. Not perfect - Nothing ever is - But one of the best imo - 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

No, sadly that's out. But it should mean that, with other tweaks, the GTI has a great future and should mature into a superb car. And it shows that VW are not content to sit on their laurels and will address any issues that need their attention

[/ QUOTE ]

Later models have always been better than the easlier ones in its life when you compare the GTIs. later mk2s were better than early mk2s same with mk1, mk3 and mk4 for that matter they always alter it abit all the way through but the things i don't like is they never tell anyone like other companys do wish they would. mad.gif

"VW reserve the right to improve specification" etc etc - It's the same with all manufacturers and most products. Look at Apple - They never stand still for longer than a couple of months....Maximum! Result = Better Product.

Meanwhile we, the user/consumer is caught between wanting it now rather than later when it's supposed to be, or indeed is, better. Re GTI Mk5: Slight regret everytime I hear of something improved on later builds but then quickly forgotten due to the joy of driving one NOW and for a few thousand miles. Perhaps it's just a way of self justification, but it's something that cannot be resolved. Should I trade in for a later Mk5 GTI in 4-5 years (before the Mk6)? But my '06' engine should then be running very nicely after a good mileage.

It's usually too competitive for companies to be able to afford informing others what they are going to do (If I have understood you correctly, Snoopy - Tricky without punctuation!).