Fuel pump palaver

bodger00

I pulled into a fuel station the other day to see a black MK5GTI on the other side of the pumps. I filled up as normal and went to go and pay. On my return I noticed that the black GTI had parked behind mine and what looked like a confussed bloke stood looking at the 2 cars. I greeted him with the usual hey nice car! He explained that his worrying was due to the fact that no 98RON petrol was available and he asked "is it safe to put 95RON in?" I explained that yes it was safe but as the manual says a slight reduction in consumption together with a slight loss of power may occur. But what really got his eyebrows moving was that it is more prone to knocking if used under full load.

This begs the question should VW have made this a bit more clear? It seems clear to me. Buy 98RON if you have a heavy right foot. But it could become confusing if not up to speed on all this. I know this has been covered in another post but I now buy soley 98RON after a significant difference with 95RON petrol.

I live in Northern Ireland and you can't get 98 RON here only 97 RON, In Southern Ireland you can't get 97 RON either only 95 RON. I can't see VW selling their cars in these markets if there was going to be any damage done to the engines by driving flat out on 95RON

I suppose time will tell.

As you say, there have been other threads on this subject but it doesn't mean we can't discuss it some more!

The Mk5 will run fine on '95' but will run better on '98' partly because of extra additives in such fuel and partly cos of engine design by VW. As VW recommend using '98' and have no vested interest, then it seems to me to be a no-brainer. If mpg is so critical then why buy a GTI - A TDI would be better in this respect as Captain Sensible kept screaming at me.

VW's recommendation is actually printed in the handbook.

After reading a lot about the Optimax fuel, I started tusing this more regularly in the M3. I had been using the Sainsbury's Super fuel (for nectar points as it pays for Xmas) but even witht he Super, the car was returning an average of 21.5mpg. Over 2 months of using Optimax the car went from 21.5 to 24.3 and remained above 24 for the rest of the time i had the car.

Definate improvement, particularly as the M3 was having a lot of miles put on it towards the end of my ownership!