Door lock problem.

james1978

I brought an R32 last week,And today the passenger door lock came off in my hand.I was told by the previous owner someone tryed to break in to the car,And the damage was repaired.Does anybody know why it's not fixed,And how i go about repairing it.

P.s cant see how it can be fixed into position.

Was it the door lock or the door handle? I only ask because mine only has door lock on drivers side and came as standard with passenger door lock blanked. Supposedly there is a way to take out the lock barrel without taking the door apart. You'll have to do a search because I can't remember how but something to do with a screw in the door that holds the barrel in place.

for just the key cylinder, don't believe the door panel has to come out

there's a torx screw head showing in the rear edge of the door slightly above the lock striker that has to be loosened

i replaced my driver side lock with a blanking kit and spent an hour pulling the panel before i discovered the screw just needed to be loosened - it's about a 10 minute affair once you've done it once

do a search here and on vwvortex - there's a pictorial write up in one of the strings

Its not the torx screw that drops - there is a section of the lock cylinder that has to tigthen up correctly to engage the lock cylinder into teh door this is what is referred to as the "c" clip.

It is highly unlikely that the "c" clip has fallen into the door, but if the screw is undone too far or wobbled the "c" clip drops out of alignment and then the only way secure the lock cylinder into the door is to strip the door and re-engage the c-clip and tighten everything up properly.

you just woke my memory up

correct, the torx screw does not come all the way out

when unscrewing you'll feel a "stop" or a point where you'll feel increased resistance to further counterclockwise turning

at that point, stop unscrewing

again, there's a real good pictorial instruction set that is linked in one of the other strings on this board on this very subject