[Audi A3/S3] New discs & pads - how much have you paid?

neo283

[ QUOTE ]

Called GSF car parts and they didn't really provide me with enough info but the Teeside guys are gonna get back to me in regards to the ATE powerdisks you've got. How do you find them by the way? How do they work with the Pagid fast road pads?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found them via AVS spares but since then, they've stopped selling them. I checked out the ATE website and was really impressed when i read up on how/why the powerdisk grooves were designed and the fact that the groove pattern helps to even pad wear.

In real life, i was very happy with the disks and the Pagid pads seemed to work great too. My only gripe was that the pads produced a fair bit of dust. Greenstuff will be a lot less dusty.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bloody hell, those ATE powerdisks are a nightmare to get hold of! Nobody seems to do them anymore for an S3!!!

Anyway that place, (Teeside), are offering me Zimmerman discs for £110.

What are your views on the manufactuer and that price coz with all included (rear discs/pads, front discs/pads) its going over £200 blush.gif

Thanks for all the hints dudes. Have ordered components form GSF - very helpful & friendly. In the end I went for;

EBC greenstuff pads all round (simply due to less brake dust) - £35 for front, £29 for rear.

Zimmerman X drilled vented discs to the front - £80 the pair. <harj you may want to check this?>

Could have gone Brembo Max discs & Pagid pads for around £10 more.

Amazingly the total cost is only £35 more than standard OEM components. Well worth it I say!

Going for standard Halfords (Folia Tec) caliper paint kit & 4 rings decals from Ebay. Total price £32.

Grand total for the job £179.56.

Thanks again for the hints. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty this weekend, now where did I put my axel props? smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the hints dudes. Have ordered components form GSF - very helpful & friendly. In the end I went for;

EBC greenstuff pads all round (simply due to less brake dust) - £35 for front, £29 for rear.

Zimmerman X drilled vented discs to the front - £80 the pair. <harj you may want to check this?>

Could have gone Brembo Max discs & Pagid pads for around £10 more.

Amazingly the total cost is only £35 more than standard OEM components. Well worth it I say!

Going for standard Halfords (Folia Tec) caliper paint kit & 4 rings decals from Ebay. Total price £32.

Grand total for the job £179.56.

Thanks again for the hints. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty this weekend, now where did I put my axel props? smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my quote from GSF:

Zimmermann front driled discs - £90

Rear Standard discs - £24.50

Green stuff pads - Front £42 Rear £26

I've never seen the Zimmermann discs. can anyone forward a link of a pic of them please. I'll buy them but they need to look the part aswell smirk.gif

I know you have already purchased but...just for the record.

Dont use RedStuff pads for the road, these are track pads. I ran them on my Gti6 for track use, as they need to be warmed up first. Road use their are useles cause you dont get them hot enough.

Green are good, but fade on the track.

Ive always fitted discs and pads myself, on all cars, Subaru Impreza, 205 GTi, 306 GTi....not had the chance on ther audi yet, but will do soon. The only difficult part is getting them off, as they stick to the hub, just give them a good kicking..

Make sure you Clean all surfaces with a wire brush to ensure the discs go on nice and flat.

You may need to undo the brake reservoir to get the pistons back in too...bleed brakes afterwards..

[ QUOTE ]

I know you have already purchased but...just for the record.

Dont use RedStuff pads for the road, these are track pads. I ran them on my Gti6 for track use, as they need to be warmed up first. Road use their are useles cause you dont get them hot enough.

Green are good, but fade on the track.

Ive always fitted discs and pads myself, on all cars, Subaru Impreza, 205 GTi, 306 GTi....not had the chance on ther audi yet, but will do soon. The only difficult part is getting them off, as they stick to the hub, just give them a good kicking..

Make sure you Clean all surfaces with a wire brush to ensure the discs go on nice and flat.

You may need to undo the brake reservoir to get the pistons back in too...bleed brakes afterwards..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds easy suicide.gif

Thanks alot dude 169144-ok.gif Not too sure about the blue colour. My S3's silver and i was thining about painting the calipers blue anyway but not sure of the look if i have blue discs aswell...

Anyway, it says they're good for A3's so does that mean S3's aswell?

Good point. I'm sure the blue anodisation will wear off with time, which can't be a good thing!

Think the S3 has beefier discs than the A3 too. Perhaps not the best option, unless Mintex do an uprated version for the S3 (which isn't coloured!)

Are you going for the Audi decals on your calipers when you paint them?

Spent yesterday working on the brakes. Not as easy as I first thought, and it turns out I need new discs on the rear. fekr.gif

Anyway, if you're still on about doing it yourself you'll need;

Good allen key set/socket attachments (to undo caliper guides)

Socket set

Long handle screwdriver (to unscrew brake disc guide)

Hammer (to tap seized parts)

Chock of wood (to prise open brake pistons)

WD40 (to leather on pretty much everything!)

Copper lube stuff (to spread on all new connections)

Paint pot or wire (to support/hang your calipers)

Fine wire brush (if you're painting calipers)

Thr fronts are fairly straight forward. The only problems I had there was loosening the caliper guides as they had seized, and prising open the brake pistons which needed a long chock of wood and a lot of effort!

The rear discs & pads require you to slacken the handbrake cable, which means taking out the centre console to get to the wire connector plate. This will need a torx head screwdriver.

It certainly ain't as simple as I suspected, and in hindsight I'd have got my mate of technical persuasion to sort it but I'm glad it's done. The drilled discs look great - no idea how they'll work at optimum performance tho. Still bedding in.

ATE Powerdiscs are supplied by Europarts check them out. 169144-ok.gif

just registered... so hello all smirk.gif

Read the above post and wanted to correct something that has been said - you do not need to play with the handbrake, if the rear calipers are the same on the A3 as S3 which I believe they are then all you need to do is pop down halfords and buy the brake caliper winder (about a tenner), as the rear pistons need to be wound back into the caliper, also makes everything a lot easier.

Did anyone paint the calipers then use the car the same day? I'd like to paint mine black when I change the discs and pads in a few weeks but need to use the car probably within a few hours and don't really want to disconnect caliper either.

Cheers,

Ben

Nice hint - wasn't aware of this. Just saw the handbrake cable in the way and decided against playing with it. Didn't even know such a tool existed! Suppose I can see how it would work though! notworthy.gif

I didn't paint the calipers - didn't have time. All the paint kits I've seen need to dry for 24 hours prior to use. Looking at my calipers it would be pretty difficult to paint all surfaces to a satisfactory standard without taking the unit off, although my brush skills aren't up to much! Perhaps if you spend some decent time masking off areas not to be painted you could get away with it.

Oh yeah, welcome to TSN too! 169144-ok.gif

Once I knew what I was doing on the fronts, 30-45 minutes a side. No doubt would be quicker if I had one of these caliper winder things! Just bear in mind that you're replacing the discs & pads, so the old ones can be knocked a bit to get them loose. Use a long armed screwdriver & plenty of lube on the disc locating screw too.

As for the rears, I couldn't say. If you don't need to unhook the handbrake then the same time again. Just make sure you take a note of how the current pads sit on the caliper before you take them off.

Harj,

If you can change a wheel you can change the discs and pads, like neo has said it can take a little conviction on things like getting the pistons back into the caliper and the discs off the hubs, I personally like the sense of achievement getting things done yourself even if it can be a little hassle.

So has anyone else on here painted the calipers and driven soon after, the high temp hammerite seems to harden in 1 hour which would do? just want them black instead of the funny white / multi coloured thing there doing at the moment. smirk.gif

• 1 month later...

Guys i've posted this in the technical forum but thought i'd post it here as its really pissed me off.

I ended up buying Zimmermann Discs and Greenstuff Pads from GSF which i had fitted on Saturday. They work fine but they are sqeeking like the brakes on a bus!!

What is going on? Surely this shouldn't be happening on new parts...PLEASE HELP!