Buying Advice

Comusat

Just found this board, and I am hoping that you can give me some advice.

I am looking at buying a 2003 TDi Sport (130) and I am wondering if there are any specific things that I should be looking out for. I've never owned a VW before let alone a Passat. The mileage is 22k ish.

Any Ideas?

Cheers grin.gif

first off..welcome to TSN! however....there is a great search option on the site which you can find loadssss of threads like these.

as for the model goes its a good choice indeed! some things to watch for are that some passats and lots VWs for that matter have faulty factory alarms! this is known problem and the dealer should fix it for free! The other common problem is the MAF.

at 22K its a baby...and as long as you maintain it properly and look after the turbo it should easy see u into the high 100K (a mate of mine has an old Mrk 2 F-reg golf TD and its done 210K, no im not joking! on the clock and its still going strong) so gives an idea of how strong they are

shop around as much as possible.

As always the usual checks apply...pannel gaps, body damage, Turbo (if ur not sure what i mean by this pls ask), engine etc etc.

Whats your budget out of interest?

This one is up at £9995 at a local car supermarket.

Dark metallic blue (inky blue i think) 16inch alloys.

Wasn't looking to spend this much, but got a better deal on a loan and thought what the hell!!

I'm getting rid of a Focus TDi that I bought 6 months ago because, quite frankly, it's poo. It might be OK for nipping to a supermarket once a week, but it can't handle 120 miles per day on the M56. Most uncomfortable car I have ever had.

I do 25k of mainly motorway miles a year, and absolutely loved my sport (same year / engine as the one you're looking at). Really comfortable, and seemed to just eat up the miles.

That price seems quite a good deal - I got 9,500 for mine from a main dealer when I traded it for a Golf GT TDi, which eats the miles, but not quite as comfortably.

Cheers

Ben

120 miles a day! .....damn i thought i did alot of miles at 400 a week! well I paid 9200 for my 51 plate 1.8T 20V sport tiptronic about 14 months ago now and that had 30K on the clock.

Are you trading in your focus TDI? dont quote me on this but alot of supermarket cars are ex rep cars....so just be aware. besides that you should be able to knock down the price a bit more. I did find that supermaket sales people are very pushy and relunctant to give you test drive without committing to the sale. which is a load of crap in my book. but that was my experience.

if/when u take a test drive make sure u cover atleast 10 miles! on a mixture of roads, inc speed bumps and if at all possible a bit of tarmac where you can get up to 70 odd. dont settle for lame excuses from the sales rep on "oh no cant go that far and i've already got a route worked out and all that jazz. take the motor on roads that you know!

best of luck!