Soggy Carpets in the back!

AndrewDiss

I have had no problems with the front footwells, but seem to have a pool of water behind the driver's seat whenever there is any rain.

Is this likely to be a door seal problem or an ECU seal problem (Re:Meriafel's reply), if it's an ECU problem, where is it located, and is it something I could fix myself?

Thanks for any advice you could give me on this.

As Gaz says clear all drain holes, even if it isn't causing the problem your experiencing it's a good idea with autumn rain and leaves in the air.

I seem to remember a previous post on this forum with water on the driver's side (I assume your RHD). The solution was to replace perished rubber grommets on or near the bulkhead. I'm not sure which ones these might be, but lift the bonnet and look for rubber seals in the area around the back of the engine bay at the driver's side. If you spot the offending one you should be able to buy one for a dealer's part dept and then replace it yourself. If the car's under warranty, don't bother, let the dealer sort it.

Door seals? I've not heard of water getting into the interior via bad door seals so I doubt it. Easy to check though - just sit in the car and get a helper to pour water all over the top of the door.

Andrew

The scuttle is the area just infront of the windscreen.

Water ingress is a mysterious business. It might be that the driver's footwell is wet but because of the inch or more of carpet and soundproofing you don't know it. Doesn't it feel even slightly damp? Also, I think the shape of the floor plan in most cars usually means water tends to pool behind in the back, though this depends on whether your car is parked on a slope.

The only sign I had of water ingress was a slightly damp carpet in the passenger foot well, but there was quite a bit of water below the surface of the carpet.

Andrew

Put a hosepipe at the base of the battery, water should run through the drain holes (which you cannot see) and will cascade down the lower bulkhead over the steering rack and over the gearbox. IF YOU HAVE ANY BUILD UP OF WATER BENEATH THE BATTERY AND BRAKE SERVO YOU HAVE BLOCKED, OR AT BEST PARTIALLY BLOCKED, DRAIN HOLES!

Remove battery and clear them out as soon as you can. You will probably find that the old dead leaves, stalks and berries have composted down quite nicely.

Blocked scuttle drain holes will result in water filling the whole scuttle area to such a depth that it will eventually flow over and through the pollen filter element so it is a must that you clean the drainage holes once a year.

Clean out any loose leaves you see in this area whenever you open the bonnet from late summer onwards. A minute or two will save you a lot of grief later.

If the water is also seen to be dripping out of your blower motor above and onto your front passengers feet then you have also a failed pollen filter housing seal. Get it fixed asap.

A faulty ECU seal is harder to spot and the first you will know will be wet rear carpets behind the driver, BUT it can also be caused by a faulty bonnet release catch grommet. Can be resealed with silicone if not perished, both bulkhead to grommet and grommet to cable. This water does not seem to wet the drivers carpet so the culprit is usually thought to be the rear inner door card, which rarely fails. It of course can become unstuck and slamming doors regularly over a high mileage doesn't help.

There may be other grommets that I don't know about in the bulkhead area but my 78k 52 130 Passat is now bone dry with the newer seals as above and simple regular checks. This topic will keep comming up again and again!

What is really needed is someone to provide the definitive posting with photo's etc.

Hi, Just looked under the bonnet, and guess what, a small puddle of water under the battery holder, I've cleaned it all out and water seems to flow freely from the outlet under the battery now(with a hose being put into the area) I will check out the grommets tomorrow as it was getting dark by the time I had finished.

Thanks for all your help

Sorry, Forgot, I also blamed the door seals, which reading a previous article is unlikely, but I did a water check with a hose and there aren't any leaks, so I guess I can rule that out.Pollen filter seal is intact as well, so I am a happy bunny now, you've probably saved me a couple of hundred quid wasted on things I didn't need, so thanks again

Andrew