DSG

nutkins

Waiting it seems is very much part of the game. Purchasers here in Australia are waiting between 6 and 10 months for their cars. VW locally forecast 13 orders per week, the last report I read was saying that their order rate was something like 60 per week.

Seems plenty of people are just putting down some cash and then hunkering down for the long wait.

I have to admit I'm not sure i would of waited 6 months (or longer) for mine.

6-10 months??!!! 3 months was agonizing enough! Having now got the car it won't surprise anyone to read that I probably would have waited. The Mk5 GTI is exceptional....One of those rare ones that the manufacturer got right, just like the Mk1. With such a long wait as 6-10, I think it becomes far more critical that you are choosing the right car to suit your needs. Mostly because I had a Mk4 ordinairy 1.6 Golf for 12 months previously, I learnt that a Golf suited me perfectly. I might have waited for the Mk5 R32 but the higher running costs and dislike of the front body styling put me off. Also Captain Sensible advised me to spend the difference on double-glazing my home.

Friends who have had Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs, etc have waited 12 months and in fact it was one of them who greatly encouraged me to hunker down for the wait, saying that you appreciate the car that much more when she eventually comes. I must say that she does feel that she has been personally and individually made for me - Bespoke rather than off-the-shelf.

Yep, in retrospect I still would have waited, but in great agony!!

6-10 months is right.

People back in August who stopped to talk to me about my GTi were saying there car was schedulled for delivery in April 06. I think the length of wait is dependent on what options are included. I was told base cars and full spec cars (in Oz that means DSG, sunroof, Sat/nav, Xenons and leather) could be supplied soonest. Customised cars - that is with a mix of options above would take longer to supply.

It will be interesting to see if the GTI hype and order volume slows now that there are some "competitors" around the corner. The VRX has just been announced and the Focus ST is not far away either. Both will be a bit cheaper than GTI, both aren't going to be bad cars and if they are readily available a few would be Golf buyers might find their way into either of these products.

Plus Renault have just announced their upgraded Megane 225 thingy...Renualt is a bit of a loser brand here in Australia - whereas Ford and especially Holden (Vauxhall) are dinky di Aussie blue blood companies (despite being both owned by the US). Real Aussie revheads either bleed blue (Ford Falcon XR6Turbo/XR8) or Red (Holden SS Commodores or Monaros).

Would I have waited six or months? Knowing what I know now yes - neither the Ford or Holden suit me - you need to remember VW is an exclusive brand down under. They will sell around 10,000 cars in a 950,000 unit market.

Otherwise I would have got the A3TFSI Sportback which is what I had set out to do in the first place and spent the next 3 or 4 years cursing is lumpy ride!

i went to the supermarket yesterday and when i came out, saw 2 guys staring at the gti. one of them said to his friend, while looking at the grille "i love this car" and he made the sound "grrrrr" while making the "clawing" action that cats make when they are angry.