Lucky Escape

Ken1

Just to let anyone in Ireland especially in or around Dublin know that I had some punters try to break into my house at 6.15am this morning to get my car keys , luckily I heard them and they legged it by jumping into a waiting car !!

The GTI lives for another day !!

how old were they mate (pro's or opportunists) openfire.gif

get one of these, a tenner well spent IMO (i have two) one on the front/ one on the side. Not too intrusive on the house, but visible to anyone looking.

Hope your all paying attention to the Crime ads on the telly... not at least because I made them grin.gifgrin.gifznaika.gif

openfire.gif

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear that - but glad the car is OK! This is a concern of mine alright. We are likely getting a tracker on ours before we get it. About €1300 for a Meta GPA800 - seems to have got good reviews.

Last thing done here is the house alarm goes on at night! Two jumpy labradors waiting around back too...

Paddy

LeMan,

Worth getting the real thing maybe - they have come way down in price. I did a nixer for a friend (I am in IT security business and he is in physical security business) and he gave me a DVR based system (Digital Video Recording) and it will record 90 days good colour to a unit tucked away up in my attic and I can view it from my PC or over the Internet.

Whole system would cost approx €800 with 4 x camera's.

I see more and more stories of this happening now, house gets broken into and keys taken.

Paddy

I don't think I was singled out particularly for the GTI , but the lads in question where looking for decent motors and according to the police they steal to order and the cars go out of Ireland dead fast following the theft. There are a lot of decent motors in my estate , loads of high end X5's and many other types. They tried two other houses at the same time not sure if they suceeded though. I washed mine yesterday evening and it was looking pretty shiny so I would say they noticed it while prowling by. These guys don't give a f**k , I mean at 6.15 people are getting up for work and this guy is at me front door tring to break in with the whole Garden lit up with a security light ! They have nothing to lose even if they are caught !

I am doing the usual , getting extra bolts fitted to front doors etc , chains and locks fitted to front gates and also two security posts fitted on front of the car and perhaps some extra lights. The alarm is always on in the house and is a godsend ! I will also park the other motor behind it to block it in , basically anything to put them off. Might consider the CCTV also. Or maybe ditch the GTI and get a Punto !

I have the same problem in my street, loads of motors getting nicked.

last month an X5 4.8 and an Audi Estate Sline 2.0T were taken.

That said, my GTI will be flanked by a 645ci and an X5 so hopefully it won't attract too much attention. Bit worried about the 18"s TBH.

But the cameras do help. A good detterent IMO.

BTW red, when you buy a dummy, you're buying the casing that the normal cameras would just slot into. So they are identical, in fact they are the same thing minus the innards. Just like a GTI, minus engine and interior... if you get me. So no way of telling. 169144-ok.gif

Hate to say it, but if my car was stolen to order... i wouldn't want it back.

Another good point is most people leave there keys near the front door. Or on a hook near the exits somewere and this is what these guys count on.

The way i always think of it would i leave a £20,000+ bundle of money on the table near the front door or would i have it near me at all times or even in a safe.

So my main set of keys are in the draw next to my bed on a night and the spares in the safe.

Just to make you aware, you might already know but even if you install dummy cameras you should have signs installed to say " smile your on camera ", sounds stupid i know, i've been working in the security industry for 9 years and hear some nasty stories about people being sued. Just be careful, go and buy a big dog! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just to make you aware, you might already know but even if you install dummy cameras you should have signs installed to say " smile your on camera ", sounds stupid i know, i've been working in the security industry for 9 years and hear some nasty stories about people being sued. Just be careful, go and buy a big dog! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On a commercial property maybe, but why on my house. It's not like i'm offering the public any type of service. It's no different to a dummy alarm box. The only person i'm misleading is a burglar ( and he can feck himself) IMO

BTW, I have a dog too (albiet a King Charles Spaniel) but he is yappy and will 123576-assfeck.gif a burglar to death.

Snoopy,

I agree re keys - mine are next to my bed too. But some say it is better leave them out cause the scumbag might end up in your room or possibly your kids room looking for them. If they have gone as far as breaking in then some might not stop at that.

Good deterrents are best way to start - pole in front drive, good house alarm or CCTV etc. Then the scumbag might weigh up the proposition and see somewhere else as being the easier option.

I know this is off topic for this forum, but unfortunately these are the people out there and best be aware of it.

Ant_H is correct too, I have 2 x camera's on my place and supposedly I am meant to have sign's up to that effect. Mine are only focussed on the perimeter and not outside it.

Paddy

Put it this way, someone walks past your house and is attacked, police do the investigating and notice there is a camera which looks as though it 'might' have seen something, they ask you and you say, "it's only a dummy camera" the police then say, "the person who was attacked thought the cameras on the house might have caught some valuable information", Mr Joe Bloggs who was attacked is not very happy, thought he might have been a bit safer in front of the camera. Now decides that because the police did not catch the attacker that he will sue you instead! Thats how it works, don't think for one minute that i agree with the system, i only work for it and advise best where i can. I have to keep saying this to all my customers, just be careful.

[ QUOTE ]

Mr Joe Bloggs who was attacked is not very happy, thought he might have been a bit safer in front of the camera. Now decides that because the police did not catch the attacker that he will sue you instead!

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry mate, completely disagree. If it were a public car park which had an obligation to protect the public then you would be dead right. But it's on my house, pointing at my drive, so has nothing at all to do with anyone walking by. It would never stand up in any court.

Reading all this I think I'm going to have my belly button pierced with a ring to hook my car's keyring onto!!

Btw LeMan, did you know that you can literally take your King Charles Spaniel anywhere....Trains, Harrods, restaurants and no-one can stop you!....Law decreed by King Charles, who had several, hence the doggie's name. Try it and have some fun! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Btw LeMan, did you know that you can literally take your King Charles Spaniel anywhere....Trains, Harrods, restaurants and no-one can stop you!....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, i knew that, but he's hyperactive, looks homosexual and has a problem with his tongue which means it hangs out the whole time tongue.gif, so i won't be taking him to the Ivy anythime soon! SMOKE6.GIF