post your own colour GTI's

jason_s

I went to look at the Wheat - don't think much of that.

Anyway, then had an idea when I looked at the configator on the UK site. What would it cost me if I was to order my Australian spec car in the UK.

I don't think I will complain amout the lack of colours in future.

This is what I ordered:

GTI, 5 door (no 3 door option), DSG, Red, 17's, sunroof(1718 (or 731 quid), leather ($2718 or 1156 quid) - exactly how my car is specced.

Then what else did I need to add:

RCD500 stereo - standard in Australia

Centre airmrest - standard

Extra side airbags - standard

Cruise - standard

Multifunction wheel - standard

Heated seats - standard with leather

Lighting pack - standard (though not the fold out mirrors, though the mirrors do dim)

Smoking pack - standard though not required in my car but all there if wanted

What we don't get:

No highline computer option

5 colours only

No telephone prep option

No rear parking sensor option

No folding mirrors

No Audio upgrade option to RCD500 Plus

And the worst set of 18' wheels you can imagine (on a Golf). They are from a Toureg I think- complte with little 'spats' to comply with local design rules.

Very ugly.

So, if I was buying my Australian car in the UK I would be paying $24760 GBP (before onroads - do you call them that? stamp duty, taxes, rego disk, plates etc), that's $58,186 in my money. So what did I pay for my car down under $47,583 (around 20,248GBP). Yes, I got a discount of around 1000GBP as I am a friend of the dealer principal

Now I haven't done this to be smart - I wan't entirely sure what the outcome would be when I started I just thought it interesting and having spent the half hour I did on it (I got bored with the spreadsheet i was working on) thought I might as well share it.

There is also the issue of relative standard of living between the two countries which I couldn't factor into the pricing easily in this forum.

It might be that we are still the lucky country.

As I said - I don't think you'll see me complaining about the lack of decent 18's or the range of colours again in a hurry.

Thanks for posting that OzGTI. I'm feeling better by the minute! The GTI I have on order is the same specifications as yours apart from mine having Black Pearl Effect paint at an extra cost of $690 (290 GB Pounds). I hate to play the 'mine is bigger than yours' game (discount that is!), but my vehicle is costing $46,130 (19,417 GB Pounds) before registration etc. Yes indeed Oz, we still are the lucky country.

By the way, I used the Yahoo currency converter which tells me that the cost of your vehicle, $47,583, equates to 20,020 GB Pounds - looks even better to me but probably not so to our cousins across the sea.

Of course there is one difference - I've got my car and you're having to be patient!!

I just took a quick look at yesterday's exchange rates - wasn't meant to be exact - more indicative I guess.

When making the comparison you do need to factor in the relative cost of living. I haven't done that - which might make our cars look a bit cheaper than in the UK. I still think it's interetsing to see how the cars are packaged in the differnet markets - might have a look at some other country when I have some time. There's the Big Mac test - one of the accounting firms does from time to time - measures the relative cost of a burger against the cost of living. It is apparently a very good indicator of relative living standards becuase McDonald's have worked out the maximum price to market the Big Mac for maximum volume. VW will have done the same - how many GTI's would they sell if they were $57,000 inhere as opposed to $47,000. Profit is margin x volume. Plus VW are trying to build the brand here an get some volume going - very competitive prices can only help that.

If it makes you feel any better I forgot to back out the dealer delivery charges - that will probably make us pretty square I reckon. Anyway no issue, I am really happy to be driving around in my GTI.

It's not called rip off Britain for nothing! We will pay through the nose for anything. smashfreakB.gif

A good comparison would be to now go and do the same on http://www.select-automotive.com/. Same UK spec cars built in the same German factory, the only difference being they are sourced through German dealers and would only come with a 2 year warranty.

All prices quoted on UK websites like on the GTI configurator will be on the road prices.

Hi Oz, in NZ we get the full Golf colour range. The very first shipment was only the 4 colours ( Red, Black Metallic, White & Shadow Blue). Then they decided for future shipments that we could order any colour in the range. Because we don't have sat nav, we only get the RCD 300 sound system. Our 18" alloys are the same as the UK, you must get different one's because of Aussie ADR's. We don't get phone,or smoking pack, but do get folding mirrors, rear parking ( but as options). Seems strange the differences as our cars both come from Sth Africa. Your prices are more competitive I think. Manual NZD 49,995, DSG $52,995. Leather seats $4k, Sun Roof $2k, Xenon's $2k, 18" wheels $2k, 6 Cd armrest stacker $750. Can't remember what parking aid and folding mirrors cost. Have you thought about the new R32. Not sure if we will get 3 or 5 door. I suspect the 3, just to differentiate it further from the GTI. I think it may be say NZD75k, too rich for me I think, given I don't like the look of the front and the fuel consumption, plus extra weight. I could be swayed by the 3 door, as that is what I wanted with the GTI.

I think our prices are higher than your's as we have a much small market, and I think the distributor wants a bigger profit margin. Still loving it though.

Cheers

Hi Andy,

So that is what you might call a drive away price?

Here in there are some additional charges - where I live in the stae of Victoria you can add a further 1,000 GBP or so to get the car on road - made up of stamp duty, registration (disk), and some compulsory insurances. Other states are the same - but the fees vary a little.

Cheers

Hi LPD

It was actually the spec differences that I thougt was the most interesting. The price will be the price VW think the market can bear, so that dosn't suprise me at all.

I'm now even more intrigued by the different spec between Aus and NZ cars especially as the cars are both produced in SA.

Not interested in the R32 - a can lose my licence easily enough with the GTi - though I think I will chip it at some point. I need four doors and I believe the R32 will be a 3 door only over here.

Also, I'm not sure whether you have been to Melbourne - we have a tram system and it makes for a very niggly ride in the areas around where I live and do most of my driving. This is one of the reasons that I opted for the GTI over the Audi Sportback - the was veryAudi jumpy. I think the R32 will be uncommfortbale to live with due to the lower suspension and larger wheels.

I'm at the stage where I still like by cars fast(ish) but comfortable - the GTi manages that pretty well IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm at the stage where I still like by cars fast(ish) but comfortable - the GTi manages that pretty well IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I feel the same but I would have written "I'm at the age where..." Hence why we have both also gone for 17s on Red cars with DSG!! The VW marketing guys must have us pigeon holed pretty accurately! I wonder what they call us?

Hi Oz Gti yes very familiar with Melbourne, great city, weather can be a bit variable as you no doubt know. I usually come over for the Aussie Open Tennis, not next year though frown.gif I don't think I will chip mine, like to keep things as the factory built - potential warranty issues. 3 door looks more sporty, I am pretty sure we will get the 3 door in the R32. Wouldn't think the SA factory would to 3 & 5, if they only do the GTI in 1 configuration.

There is a red manual GTI about 500m from where I live. I think from the posts I have read that VW NZ may have sold more GTI's per capita in NZ than Australia. I don't know why so many people seem to like black & silver, boring colours to my mind, the red looks far more racy, and isn't that what we want with the GTI?

Cheers

Great sunny day here, about 26c, looking good for weekend driving with the roof open.

One last thing, do you find it a bit tricky backing smoothly in reverse. The progress you make seems very thorttle sensitive. Apart from that the DSG box is a fantastic piece of German engineering.