DSG problem

aswall

Just come back from holiday during which the car has been in the airport carpark. It started ok first time (which it should do, it's only 3 months old but I always hold my breath when starting a car after a fortnight) and was running fine until, about 10 mins from the airport, I flashed a bus to pull out from a bus stop and came to a halt while it was manouevering out. When I came to pull away, nothing happened and the engine just revved like mad. I pulled at both paddles and nothing happened (I was in D mode)and the indicated gear stayed at 1. I had to move the gearlever into Park and then back into D again for it to work. About 2 minutes later I got another false neutral while pulling away from traffic lights and pulled the lever back into S mode, at which point it shot off like a scalded cat. For the rest of the journey back I kept it in S as I just wanted to get home. Today I have tried it in all modes and circumstances and it seems fine.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it likely that something had stuck while it was unused and has now freed off or is it likely to be something more serious? I'd like to avoid taking it in until it's due for a service if possible as I'm not likely to get any days I don't have to work for some time now

Firstly, I only thought to myself earlier today "Where's that Aswall got to?" I was going to suggest someone asking quezzies should take particular notice of any advice you offer (on an aftermarket installation).

Your problem sounds exactly as you think it is....A question solved by rebooting everything. Electronics can be like that typically. I would do the same as you and keep a close eye on things but it sounds like all will be okay now....Just a hiccup or glitch and the system has probably self-repaired itself.

Hi Redrobin. Nothing worse than coming back after 2 wks of sun and dangling your toes in warm sea - Cold, rain, dark nights and mornings, everybody sneezing their bloody germs all over you, 2 weeks of missed work to catch up on and then to cap it off with your car misbehaving. Looks like you were right though, no probs at all today so touch wood. Rang the VW service dept and they said they hadn't heard of it happening before but they would say that anyway

• 7 months later...

Hmm....

Took a right turn out of work this evening just as the traffic lights up the road changed, so went off in S mode. The car was already warm as was only doing a brief visit/drop off.

Car accelerated fine initially, then there was a noise, then there was no forward progress, the car was moving on its own, but without gaining speed. When pushing the accelerator pedal down the engine was revving but appeared unconnected to the wheels (that is to say the wheels weren't spinning). This came on at between 20-35 mph or so.

The traffic light grand prix was by then catching up with me as I'd stopped accelerating, but after a worrisome moment or so the drive returned and so I went off gently at slow acceleration (fortunately not run into from behind).

I pulled over 500 metres down the road, turned off, got out, looked around, nothing to see.

Went out again later on. One further episode, not quite the same, but a very unsmooth and unhappy change under acceleration (once only).

I've never experienced anything like this in the 3500 miles to date.

Any ideas?

Engine freely rev-able but no throttle control seems to indicate either a DSG drive (clutch) problem or a throttle linkage problem but a throttle problem would be far less likely to be so random. I would say a clutch related DSG problem and a trip to your dealer for plug-in diagnostics to discover a fault code.

I had a problem with my DSG's Mechatronics Module (I love that term!) which I posted about a while back. Either way, it's easily solved under warranty.

Keep us informed and Good Luck 169144-ok.gif.

on my a3 s-line,not long after i got it,i pulled away quite fast,and the digital gear display,started to flash,when i looked in the handbook,it said that any overloading of the cluthes will result in the display flashing,or something along those lines?.