DVD Review - Jeremy Clarkson - Heaven & Hell

NewNiceMrMe

I bought this today for £14.99 at my local Sainsburys.

I've got most of the JC DVD's and usually find them an entertaining watch that fills an hour here and there whilst fulfilling my motoring addiction now and again.

Anyway, this one tests what he refers to as the Heaven of motoring compared to the Hell of motoring. Fairly normal stuff then.

Cars on test in the Heaven section include:

Vauxhall Monaro

TVR Sagaris

Chevrolet Corvette

Ferrari Scaglietti

VW Golf GTi

Aston Martin V8

Porsche 911

And many more. All of which are compared with:

Renault Espace's

Perodua's

Triumph TR7's

and so on and so forth...

There are some genuinely hilarious moments on the DVD, especially when JC buys a brand new Perodua from a dealership and then the dealership staff and passers by watch as he does what only he would do with it....it's fantastic.

The tests of the Heaven cars are somewhat repetitive though. See, they're all done on the TG test track - so it gets bloody boring. I want to see them on normal roads, going through towns, watching reactions, etc...and you do get a bit weary of tail slide after tail slide and constant reams of tyresmoke filling the screen.

Much of JC's commentary is somewhat 'heard it before' too.

The actual filming is rather, well, uninspiring, and the scene with a blonde girl stripping off in the back of an original Golf GTi is....ridiculous to the point of being patronising to the viewer.

The blowing up of cars, the tearing apart of cars, well it's all old hat.

So I'm afraid to say it was a waste of money. If the likes of Play or Amazon discount this down to £5.99 in a few months then it's worth a few quid just to pass an hour, but it's certainly not worth £14.99 and frankly I feel robbed.

I blame the Director/Producer. Same track, same theme, same results - it just needs a complete overhaul and is long due a refreshing new style.

Thumbs down I'm afraid. frown.gif

Do it! We can sell it on again to some poor other sod if the disc isn't scratched.

Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On, Go on, Go On.

mrsdoyle.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve deliberately avoided reading this review because I was planning on getting this DVD for xmas and wanting it`s contents to be a surprise... but as I saw an advert for it on TV earlier, I figured I may as well give it a look.

Last year I got his then-new DVD and didn't think much of it, making me wonder if this was going to be more of the same... and it sounds like it probably is.

But, as I`ve no idea what else I want, I`ll probably still give it a look anway. At least you said "There are some genuinely hilarious moments on the DVD", so that`s something 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...