Frustration

Preshan

My parents (dad aged 58) has recently taken delivery of his fully kitted out GTi in Graphite blue. Collected it from the factory which they said was pretty cool. They are very pleased with it but don't seem to appreciate it in the way I would. In one week they haven't even covered 100 miles! Won't be run in for ages? They haven't tried the manual mode of DSG and don;t seem to keen on hammering it. Its not that their not enjoying it, but not in the same way I would. Oh well, better to have than not to have eh? Just hope its run in when I go home for Christmas! grin.gif

Just to reassure you that not all 58yo dads are like that....I'm 58yo and have done 5,500 miles since 6th August and often drive my DSG GTI hard just because she's always eager and up for it! I did run her in sensibly and I always let her warm up before any action.

How did they manage to collect her from Wolfsburg?....I tried like mad and got wrapped up and dumped in red tape!!

They are living in Germany at the moment. The factory is only about 80 miles away. But collecting from the factory should be available to all VW buyers. If you pay a small sum you even get put up in the Ritz hotel they have at the Autostadt ("Auto town") in Wolfsburg. By the way, how many miles did you run your car in for?

[ QUOTE ]

My parents (dad aged 58) has recently taken delivery of his fully kitted out GTi in Graphite blue. Collected it from the factory which they said was pretty cool. They are very pleased with it but don't seem to appreciate it in the way I would. In one week they haven't even covered 100 miles! Won't be run in for ages? They haven't tried the manual mode of DSG and don;t seem to keen on hammering it. Its not that their not enjoying it, but not in the same way I would. Oh well, better to have than not to have eh? Just hope its run in when I go home for Christmas! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says you're going to drive it?

Get your own car to crash tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

They are very pleased with it but don't seem to appreciate it in the way I would. In one week they haven't even covered 100 miles! Won't be run in for ages? They haven't tried the manual mode of DSG and don;t seem to keen on hammering it. Its not that their not enjoying it, but not in the same way I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they want to run it in first so using D. Some people like to get miles on it before they give it any stick if any.

Maybe they bought the car for the extra oomph it has for overtaking.

Maybe they apreciate the hard earned money they had to spend getting it so they want to look after it.

Maybe you don't know how they drive it when there by themselfs.

Not everyone that has a GTI drives it like an idiot and thrash it. I have had GTIs for 16 Years and appreciate what they are and can do in day to day use.

Sorry but i can understand totally were they are coming from.

To answer your ealier question: Run in for approx 1,000 miles / 1,500 km at no more than 75% max power and revs below 3,500 and revs to be varied and not held constant for long periods (M'way). If DSG, D-mode makes this very easy. Introduce harder driving gradually.

Funny, I looked at the TDI....Must be something to do with being 58yo!