HELP !! What to do ?

jason_s

i took my car in on monday to get some suspension work and a remap done. The chap who's doing it is very good at his job but is having some trouble getting it to work correctly. he has said to me that theres a new version of the golf gti softwear (version 5 on the ecu) which he hasnt come across yet and is finding its misfiring at the top end. he said something about frying the sparkplugs.

his had the car now for 4 days now.

Has anyone else had problems like this with their remaps?

should i ask him to put it back to standard and go elsewhere?

is this normal when a 2mth old car is remapped?

will anyone else be able to do better?

youre views would really be appreciated asap as i have to get this sorted soon.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately most tuning goes without problems but the car manufacturers don't encourage it....It's equivalent to brain surgery! Even with the best tuners, ECU versions get revised by the car manufacturer. Regarding VW and Audi, MTM (QST in the UK) and Oettinger have worked very closely with VAG in Germany and QST are even fully approved by a few Audi dealers here in the UK. Personally I'm not inclined to consider the others any more (for my Mk5 GTI).

[ QUOTE ]

i took my car in on monday to get some suspension work and a remap done. The chap who's doing it is very good at his job but is having some trouble getting it to work correctly. he has said to me that theres a new version of the golf gti softwear (version 5 on the ecu) which he hasnt come across yet and is finding its misfiring at the top end. he said something about frying the sparkplugs.

his had the car now for 4 days now.

Has anyone else had problems like this with their remaps?

should i ask him to put it back to standard and go elsewhere?

is this normal when a 2mth old car is remapped?

will anyone else be able to do better?

youre views would really be appreciated asap as i have to get this sorted soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 days????????? Thats rubbish, the guy dont know what hes doing.

I know what hes done, hes messed something up, car wont start, poor running etc........

That car shouldn't be a problem to tune. NONO3.GIF

Not necessarily... NONO3.GIF

There are several different releases of the 2.0T code. Mine had a newer version than anyone had seen as well (version 9)so I had to hold off until the new code had been looked at... Mine had a service release applied by the dealer due to a fuel rail irregularity error I was getting causing a CEL.

[ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily... NONO3.GIF

There are several different releases of the 2.0T code. Mine had a newer version than anyone had seen as well (version 9)so I had to hold off until the new code had been looked at... Mine had a service release applied by the dealer due to a fuel rail irregularity error I was getting causing a CEL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't explain myself......I re-map cars for a living, what I am saying is the guy who is trying to tune his car, shouldn't have a problem if hes got any knowledge in tuning, as apposed to keeping it for days trying to work it out

Regards

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding VW and Audi, MTM (QST in the UK) and Oettinger have worked very closely with VAG in Germany and QST are even fully approved by a few Audi dealers here in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some dealers may not instantly throw up their hands in horror but Audi UK will. Still only a problem if something vaguley related goes wrong

I've unfortunately got close to the point where I'm no longer sure who to believe about tuning and warranties etc. However, I maintain that if a VW or Audi dealer accepts your car to then arrange a re-map with an established tuner (as some dealers will) they consequently take a degree of responsibility for the work done IF anything goes pear-shaped.

got the tuning done by QST (mtm)yesterday, thing goes like a rocket but torque steer and wheelspin a mojor problem in 1st 2nd 3rd and sometimes 4th as well. they told me that if i get 19's (currently on 18's) all if not most of that will go. is this correct and if so why the big difference?

also when i booked it in with them i told them that the previous chap found it was misfiring after he remapped it. they said i wouldnt have that problem with them. yesterday when i drove it i had 2 misfires. What the feck is going on !!!!

i spoke to them today and their attitude was there must be a fault with my car before it was remapped (ive never had a misfire before) he also said that there is no problem with the remap code as theve done many GTI's and that i should go to my dealer to see if they can find a fault. as im sure your all aware no dealer will touch the ecu in a remapped car and wrightly so.

need your advice guys please.

Well I find it hard to believe that someone like QST would be so lax - they should have checked the car before hand for any faults and then dealt with those first with best advice to you, and very disappointing that they sound unwilling to help out, with a name like MTM behind them you wouldnt expect back street dealer type of attitude.

Is it possible that they (QST) didn't find the misfiring fault in their (presumed) initial diagnosis? I'm not qualified to say whether they should/could have found such a fault but I too would have expected a more constructive attitude. They have an excellent reputation but not if they don't offer a more positive after-service.

Perhaps it will help to see how the misfire fault progresses over the next few days before approaching QST more emphatically about the problem.

But meanwhile does anyone here have any clues about misfiring?

your right, they did say they checked the car before and after remapping and advised me there were no faults found, and no misfiring on rolling road testing.

any idea on the 19's versus 18's rims. are they just trying to sell me some new rims, or will it solve the problem of wheelspin and torque steer? they did say i could go there and they could put on a pair of 19 rims on the front for me to see if i like them but its quite a journey just for a tryout.

appreciate your help guys

So these people can tune a modern car engine to a greater degree than the manufacturer of the engine, but then can't diagnose a missfire?

At the end of the day, tuning like this is a going to be a trade-off somewhere, otherwise VW would be giving you that extra power surely? A trading off of reliabilty perhaps...

I'm no expert, (by any stretch!) but surely larger rims are just increasing the gearing or reducing the leverage if you like, so wheelspin will be harder. (A poor analogy - but, It's harder to wheelspin if you pull away in 2nd).

As for torque steer, I cannot see how this will be affected? Double check to see if your tyre pressures are equally balanced, a PSI or two can make a HUGE difference to mine!

There is a balance, you will also find that each remap is different depending upon company, some appear to give far more Torque other more bhp figures, some are very nice smooth curves, other are al over the place.

The problem is that there is no governing body for this kind of thing so tuners can say what they want and there isnt a great deal you can do about it.

Increase in power is likely to reduce lifespan on something, but I know RSD have been running a tunned Passat for over 100k miles with no issues, but I am sure other people have had 300 miles and sudden death, i doubt you can actually quantify the real effects.