R32 Test Drive

GTiMK5

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez! I've just noticed how much I have posted 'next door' but I'm not moving from our beloved GTI. There's currently quite a lot to say in the R32 forum because we are now both Mk5 Golfs and the GTI has been out longer. They don't come in here much though do they.

It's quite amusing to observe how Mk4 .:R owners have started off slagging the Mk5 but are now coming round to appreciating its pluses.

I feel the same, Snoopy....I'm still extremely happy with my GTI but am curious about the new R32 and am resisting a test drive. I think I must continue to resist! My GTI grin is now turning into that expression the hit-man driver had in the famous "Bullet" movie car chase as I get more and more focussed on my driving!

[ QUOTE ]

Oh dear i should not read these type of reviews it will make me want to go take a test drive. Past a guy coming the other way yesterday in a new R32 he had a HUGE grin on his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you test one I think you will want one. In terms of performance etc there may well not be a great deal in it on paper between the two but in the real world it does not feel like that at all.

After the test drive I didnt want to get back in the GTI at all, it felt crap in comparrison. I know it is not crap but that is how the R32 left me feeling. It was a bit wet on the day so any hard accelerating in the GTI just span the wheels, in the R32 none whatsoever, it just went and the music coming out the twin pipes at the rear just made it.

If you dont want one and want to keep the GTI I wouldnt go for a test drive, just enjoy the GTI and be none the wiser.

[ QUOTE ]

If you dont want one and want to keep the GTI I wouldnt go for a test drive, just enjoy the GTI and be none the wiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

....So says Captain Sensible of Aldershot and I most certainly will be taking his advice! Further down the line when I do decide to part with my GTI, the then current .:R will definitely be top of my list! For now, I don't want to hear any more about the excellent traction and V6 music!!

I've seen 3 R32s in the flesh today and have to say it looks much better than in the pictures. Silver is ok, but both blue and black suit it really well. In fact my gf who didn't like the GTI in shadow blue loved the R32 in the same colour.

The one thing that I really can't get my head around is that alloy trim inside. That actually looks worse for real than it does in the pictures! I can forgive it the silver front end and the chavish exhausts as they do go well with the look of the car, but the interior trim is questionable.

I've got a test drive on Thu 169144-ok.gif

The main downside of the new R will be MPG, it will sting if you do lots of miles. Of course that side of it goes out the window at testing time, but come long turn ownership, it does start to aggrovate you.

There's lots of Mark IV owners that will back this up too. FSI will help a little, but it simply will not return the type of MPG the GTI can. But obviously you have AWD and a V to make up for it 169144-ok.gif

Well the R32 (Albiet Mark 1V) was only 0.4 seconds faster than a GTI round the Top Gear Test track.

Anyone see the Focus ST on TG tonight. That bit where Clarkson went past hanging out the window shouting ROOONNEY!, was one of the funniest feckin things i've ever see him do, class!!! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well the R32 (Albiet Mark 1V) was only 0.4 seconds faster than a GTI round the Top Gear Test track.

Anyone see the Focus ST on TG tonight. That bit where Clarkson went past hanging out the window shouting ROOONNEY!, was one of the funniest feckin things i've ever see him do, class!!! wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes wasn't it just & the Ford 'ASBO' reference.

Car was impressive in all that wet.