Correct offset

MRKJM

Hi guys sorry if this has been mentioned before but I used search & couldnt find anything. Just bought a Gti and want to change the original wheels to 18" Toora T670's. Have phoned about and everyone tells me a different offset. Could someone please enlighten me if the offset should be 35, 40, 45, 50 or 51, Been told definatley 35 then been told definately between 42 & 50. What difference does this all make? I will try and attach a photo of the wheels to see what u guys think..

post-12375-137914337044_thumb.jpg

Do you have your car yet? the offset will be stamped on the inside of the wheel, the ET number is essential, it must be correct to retain the handling characteristics of the original car, and if it is too far out, the wheel will hit suspension components or the arches. I think the original 18s look best on the gti, imo, the R32 wheels look terrible.

each to their own eh!

Thats it mate, yea have the car but not putting it onto the road till new year, have original 17" wheels not 18, not very impressed with them, i've seen Gti's with different wheels but wonder what offset they are? What is stamped on yours, Vw told me 51 but have yet to see a set of wheels anywhere with that offset..

The ET/offset is the distance measured from the centre line of the wheel rim to the mounting face of the wheel hub.

So if you go from 51 to 45 (+ve o/s) the centre of the rim will move 6mm towards the mounting face.

As this is +ve offset ... the rim will be 6mm further out.

Is the rim width the same on the Toora's as the VW ones ?

cheers confused.gif

No guys the offset aint the same as the Vw ones it's 45. Why do you's not like the Toora wheels? I would have liked the original 18" Vw wheels but i didn't upgrade when buying & Volkswagen are looking £350 & vat per wheel (excluding tyres) to upgrade now, any ideas lads & lasses?