Golf MK4 Tdi intercooler pipe.

activa

I was just driving along and suddenly the car started stuttering horribly and had no power.

Every time I floored it a massive cloud of soot came from the exhaust and basically I was happy just to get home.

I've had a quick glance and it looks like the intercooler pipe at the bottom of the engine bay has come off.

Thing is,it looks impossible to get to,but I'm hoping it isn't as I cannot do without the car.

So can anyone please tell me the procedure to me getting this pipe back on?

TIA

Update-

After taking the easy route and calling the AA,I was chuffed when they had the intercooler pipe reconnected inside half an hour.

When I drove it up the road though,I still got thick clouds of unburnt fuel out of the exhaust and the turbo didn't seem to be spinning at all.

So I guessed that the pipe must have come off again as the guy said to get a new clip for it.

When I got back and we went under the bonnet,the intercooler pipe is still connected,damn!

So now the AA guy thinks it's the turbo that's nackered and that's why the pipe came off in the first place.

Only thing that surprises me,is that there are no warning lights coming on.Would the ECU not show a fault if all this fuel was getting thrown in and not used?

Any info from the TSN VW guys would be appreciated,before I leave it with a main agent wnere my wallet really is gonna be at their mercy! frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

does the car whistle when you accelerate? if so it means there is an intercooler pipe off, possible the other end of the one that came off originally which goes on the side of the turbo. If not then unfortuanlty its probably the turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't so much whistle,but you can hear a kind of whooshing sound when you try to give it throttle.

The misfire is so bad that it's not really possible to keep your foot down for more than a second or two.

Booked it into VW now,can't be without the car,I'll just have to suffer what they tell me.

Thanks for your help!!!

[ QUOTE ]

If you hear a hissing sound when you floor the pedal, it'll be a turbo hose leaking, possibly a split, more likely it's popped off somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm praying it is.

Would that cause it to misfire really badly?

I mean,if I didn't know it was a diesel I'd swear it was a broken plug lead,that's what it feels like.

Anyway,I'll have to wait for the phone call now!

Sorry for the short postings but my adsl modems fecked and dial up keeps cutting off when someone calls.ROLLEY~14.GIF

If the turbo had gone, there'd be engine oil burning in the combustion process (how's the oil level?) or bits of metal flying about.

The fact that you can hear it whooshing indicates that the turbo's producing boost but it's getting away from where it's supposed to go. I'd like to bet you're not gonna need a new turbo, but depends on the dealer really.

If i hadn't moved to devon you know this problem would be all sorted or at least diagnosed for you frown.gif

I feel for you buddy... you just dont know what the dealer will tell you UHOH7.GIF or if they will just start bolting parts on like a new turbo NONO3.GIF

As per our conversation, i agree with Rustynuts, lets hope you have blown another hose of or split one etc...

All i can say right now is.. your living up to your username!! grin.gif (sorry, couldn't resist)

good luck.

To think I encouraged you to go and enjoy the Country Life aswell. suicide.gif

All will be revealed when Citygate in Watford call me with the news-thought I'd mention the garage so that if they give a good service they'll get nothing but compliments,but if they don't...........

Oh,and speaking of usernames,I'm properly living upto mine at the moment,it's about time you changed yours isn't it Mr.ZCHybrid.TDI.Passat! tongue.gif

Just had a call from the garage and it's not the turbo,yippeee!

However,it's still not exactly a get out of jail card.

Apparently,the intercooler pipes and the pipe that comes from the turbo all need replacing.

This comes to 520 quid fitted,bloody 'ell,for a bit of pipework.

Does this sound reasonable?

It sounds reasonable that it's not the turbo, but surely all the pipes don't have a split in them?

Ask how much for parts and labour (split the job up) and then decide how much you want to get your hands dirty. I'd guess that you could save about £200.00 doing it yourself. Mulkbear would have a good idea how much.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty,but looking at where the turbo is on that car,I'd find it hard to access it without ramps.

He told me it's a 2 hour job,so whatever VW charge per hour times 2 must be the labour.

He said that one pipe alone(I guess the one from the turbo)is 156 pounds,so judging from that I would think 300ish for parts and 200ish for labour. frown.gif

As you both have the PD 150 motor, yes it'd be the same thing. I smell a rat here. I think someone needs to pay the Christmas credit card bill and is loading the parts cost!!! grin.gif

Sootchucker, you need to have a word with another dealer and see what they want to charge you. Best get a written quote from the dealer as to what they're actually going to do.

The only pipes which come from the turbo are air inlet (from the air box), boost outlet to intercooler, boost pipe from intercooler, vaccuum pipe from N75 valve (literally pennies!), and oil pipes. If it were the oil pipes failing, the turbo would doubtless need replacing aswell so I don't think it's them included

I still think something's up. Maybe they've already got 4 hours labour in the job or something, you know like for diagnostics etc. crazy.gif

The way he described it,was the pipe coming from the turbo.

Now I take this to be,the long metal jobby that goes across the engine and then downwards and joins the intercooler pipe.

That can be the only one that would justify 156 quid-he also said it has a sensor in it.

Does this give any clues?