Eeeek! Quandry!

steffiraf

Am in a real quandry, and I need all your advice please.

I have seen a horse that I really, really, really want. My OH(god bless him) says if I want it, I can have it, although it would mean taking out a loan. It is the sort i have wanted since childhood but they come on the market once every blue moon. It is only a baby, so its a huge gamble but it could, and its a big could, give me the future i want. I really want to breed horses, and this is a stallion(albeit a baby one) that should grow into something really special.

The problem I have is, that because its a stallion, not many, if anywhere will have it on their premises. It would be 3 years at least before he could be used for breeding, and in that time anything could happen. I would eventually want to get my own place, but, funds at the moment wont allow it. On the up side, if things didnt work out, he wouldnt lose any value and i would probably recoup what i paid for him, if i sold him. It would mean a lot of hard work on my part, and a huge amount of understanding on the part of my OH, which i have pressed upon him, and he seems to be ok with it. Also my beloved scoob would have to go. frown.gif

Do i throw caution to the wind, and go for it, or do i do what i usually do and err on the side of caution? confused.gif

I know not many of you will know what i'm on about but all views greatly appreciated

Errr... that's not a racehorse, mal! znaika.gif

(And the photo's not great but his 'pedigree' looks healthy... grin.gif )

That's a lovely looking young horse, steffi - he'll look amazing when he's full size.

A very difficult call though - I can see this is something you see as potentially a first break into making a living. You have to gamble sometimes to do that, but you have to think very carefully about what's on the line too. Once you've done everything you can to ensure your sums are right, only you can decide if it's worth it.

He should look like a 'drum horse' when he grows up. Like the ones you see on Trooping the Colour. Being half Clydesdale makes him quite desirable to cross with thoroughbreds(racehorses) for showjumping, hunting and showing. If i get out and about on the showing circuits, and he does well, i could charge around £300-£350 per covering(if you know what i mean 123576-assfeck.gif). One or two a month, and i would be made up. I would also probably breed my own for selling at weaning. It wont make vast amounts of money, but enough to let me go job-share at work at least. And if i cant keep him for whatever reason, then his re-sale value,if anything would go up a grand at least. Although this would be offset with the cost of keeping him.

Am really crap at forecasting and gambling, but i cant help but feel i might miss something amazing. Am i just being silly?

do you enjoy what you do now well enough to let an opportunity like this pass you by? if you get a buzz out of life and lots of intrinsic motivation as it is, then it may not be worth the hassle, but this could change your life, so deffo give it some serious consideration.

[ QUOTE ]

FpsDad.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ that horse is fecking huge!

If it's something you've always wanted to do go away and do the maths and if you can afford it go for it. You don't want to spend the rest of your life regretting missing your chance to fulfil your dream.

Of course that's easy for me to say, I've not got to feed it, stable it and keep it!

You will regret it if you don't.

And, do you really want to carry on working for SOMEONE else............when you know you can make a difference for yourself.

Many self-employed bods start by working for themselves AND for the origianl firm, until they are confident/successful enough to go it alone.

Work out what you can afford properly (stables, vets fees, transportation fees, food, exercising, grooming etc) and go from there. If all seems good.............

"Many hands" makes a bloody huge horse!

I would say Steff, that as a financial decision, buying this horse would be a huge no-no. £££££'s outlay, vetinary bills, feed, cost of paddock for the sake of a few hundred quid every now and then in a few years time NONO3.GIF

Not forgetting you will presumably have to undercut the stud farm (or whoever) as you are (no insult intended) but a two bit operation.

He is a beautiful horse though and if this is one of your dreams and it will bring you lots of pleasure then go for it! But think of it more as a expensive hobby.

Also, didn't you have security issues some time ago?

Anyhoo, don't want to wee on your fireworks, good luck with the decision, hope it works out for ya! 169144-ok.gif