Anyone upgraded the RCD300+ with an amp?

Hi all, I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything on this.

I'm keen to improve the audio quality of my VW RCD300+ system but retain the OEM look, ie I'm not keen on replacing the head unit.

Has anyone attempted an amp upgrade and or speaker/sub install on a Mk5 Golf with RCD300?

Jono

625175-RCD-300-BVX-pinout.jpg

As can be seen from the rear of the R300 unlike the MFD2 and im guessing RCD500 it does not have the LO outputs that meen a line out. So cannot simply be connected to an amp like the RCD500/Sat nav units.

So you stuck with a few choices

either the expensive digital out conversion

Or expenvice Preout conversion in other words get someone to alter the unit

or whats called LOCs or line output converters that convert the speaker outputs to RCA

BUT im told by quite a few sources now that the RCD300 has a built in EQ system that changes the output frequency responce when the volume is changed and that you can actually hear this when its standard anyway. (Its used for the reason is so less speakers need replacing under warrenty terms)So when you upgrade this causes problems.

So if this is the case at this present time leaves us one option JL cleansweep its basically an expensive box that takes the speaker wires in and eqs the responce flat and gives you a NEW volume control knob to use so that any factory EQ in the headunit is flatterned out.

There are now products from JBL, Rockford fosgate that have just been shown at CES this past week that will do the same and will be on sale soon too.

Hi guys. Hopefully picking up GTi next week. Also interested in improving SQ from RCD300 but keeping OEM. Sure i've read a post somewhere (not on TSN) where a guy with RCD500 swapped his spkrs for rainbows (custom fit for Mk5 Golf), installed a genesis amp and subwoofer to good effect. Snoopy is right about LO problem with RCD300. Any views on ditching rcd300 and picking up rcd500 2nd hand?

Useful information, thanks. I knew the RCD300 didn't have pre-outs and would require speaker-level input connections to an amp, I was just wondering how succesful this had been if anyone had done it.

If the RCD500 has pre-outs perhaps it's best to replace the RCD300 with this? Anyone know much the RCD500 is as a spare part? I understand the MFD2 also has pre-outs too.

SATNAV unit MFD2

MFD4.JPG

Multiple connector 3, eightfold, for loudspeaker exits

Referencist the radio navigation system in the vehicle additionally equipped with an amplifier, then are used these loudspeaker exits as input signals for the amplifier.

1 - Loudspeaker, plus, back right

2 - Loudspeaker, plus, front right

3 - Loudspeaker, plus, ront left

4 - Loudspeaker, plus, rear left

5 - Loudspeaker, minus, back right

6 - Loudspeaker, minus, front right

7 - Loudspeaker, minus, front left

8 - Loudspeaker, minus, rear left

Multiple connector 4, eightfold, for voltage supply lines and CAN bus

9 - CAN bus High

10 - CAN bus Low

11 - Radio audio muting (with telephone enterprise)

12 - Voltage supply, minus, clamp 31

13 - Connection for ignition key-steered switching (s-contact on and off)

14 - Contact for alarm installation (optional)

15 - Voltage supply, plus, clamp 30

16 - Control signal for theft safety device, SAFE

Multiple connector 5, twelvefold, for telefonsignale and preamplifier output signals

1 - External audio entrance left

2 - External audio entrance mass

3 - LINE Out left

4 - does not occupy

5 - Driver's instruction sheet Nf +

6 - Telephone audio input signal, TEL-

7 - External audio entrance right

8 - LINE Out, mass

9 - LINE Out right

10 - does not occupy

11 - Driver's instruction sheet Nf -

12 - Telephone audio input signal, TEL+

Multiple connector 6, twelvefold, for CD changer switch control and CD audio input signals

1 - Audio signal output for headphones, right, plus

2 - CD changer switch, left and right channel, mass

3 - Audio signal output for headphone, minus

4 - CD changer switch, voltage supply, plus, clamp 30

5 - Audio signal output for headphones, left, plus

6 - CD changer switch, DATA OUT (data exchange to the CD changer from the radio navigation system to the CD change-over switch)

7 - does not occupy

8 - CD changer switch, left channel, CD/L

9 - CD changer switch, right channel, CD/R

10 - CD changer switch, control signal (switched live)

11 - CD changer switch, DATA IN (data exchange to the CD changer from the CD change-over switch to the radio navigation system)

12 - CD changer switch, CLOCK (internal inspection report for the monitoring of data flow)

(Sorry if the language is bad. This is a bablefish translation from german to english)

The RCD500 MUST also have a line out of some sort i would think as it runs the dynaudio system in the passat and also the VW soundpack option in the golf.

BUT i wish someone would take a photo of it so i can see if it has or not. Must have some sort of output to send the signal to the soundpack amp or dynaudio amp.

On the subject of the speaker-->RCA adaptors

If you cannot hear an EQ changing the sound as you turn the volume up you will probably be ok.

A couple of audio dealer installers i have talked to say that the VW unit has a built in EQ that changes as the volume is increased.

BUT i have also read 1 or 2 threads on forums were owners have changed there systems and used the Speaker-->RCA adaptors and said it sounds ok to them (the guy mensioned above with the rainbow/genesis setup is one)

• 1 year later...