Chipping Again

chriswastle

This may have been discussed on here previously but here goes.

Made a few phone calls this morning regarding prices for a remap.This is what i was told

1. Superchips £400 +VAT After some discussion! Simple chip change at your home; estimated 40 bhp 30lbs torque increase, commented that Superchips were the only company that VW approve to do this sort of work!!!

2. Revo £511 +VAT on their site, this price doesnt include rolling road session 50 bhp and 30 lbs torque increase.

3.AMD similar increases but program the actual ECU and do not replace the chip. £699 + vat, After some discussion they said they would wave the vat! this did include rolling sessions though

Now i know AMD have a good reputation in this sort of work ( i have used them before ) but can you justify the extra cost?

Anybody had it done by any of the above people and are they happy?

Any comments will be appreciated. confused.gif

I myself after experience from close mates cars in the past using remaps from all 3 of these companys on different cars. If it was me i myself would only deal with AMD of the 3 companys you list

But thats just a personal view only based on limited experience of cars been fiddled with from these 3 companys.

[ QUOTE ]

....commented that Superchips were the only company that VW approve to do this sort of work!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

....Currently I don't believe that any tuners are "approved" by VW and I would be very suspicious of anyone who claims they are. There may be a very small number of individual VW dealers who will get your car tuned for you with a third party but that's not the same as "Approved by VW". Also, I think that if they need to, VW can detect if a car has ever been re-mapped even if it's re-set.

I would def choose AmD from that list and have your ECU software updated by VW first and have a custom re-map. If you've got a DSG car then check everything out very thoroughly before doing anything.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Mainy. So what have you read that would persuade you to spend nearly £300 more for what is basically the same product?

Hi Petsy. Thats makes more sense as that it what the others do!

thanks guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Chris

Too many things to mention to be honest cool.gif but the only 2 tuners I have heard any negative experiences of are AMD and Star Performance in Fife 169144-ok.gif

Personally I'd rather RR my car to check that there are no faults prior to upping that performance and I'd be happy to pay a premium for such a service cool.gif

Just check out JaysGTIs posts about his remap experience from hell frown.gif

Interesting points, could i simply go to my Dealer and ask them to update my ECU software? Forgive my ignorance please by the way, i can't find my way around my own home, never mind a car, lol. Why would i have this done? And what do you then mean by 'having a custom re-map' please? Again, apologies for asking questions which many of you probably knew from birth...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Mainy. So what have you read that would persuade you to spend nearly £300 more for what is basically the same product?

Hi Petsy. Thats makes more sense as that it what the others do!

thanks guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Chris

Too many things to mention to be honest cool.gif but the only 2 tuners I have heard any negative experiences of are AMD and Star Performance in Fife 169144-ok.gif

Personally I'd rather RR my car to check that there are no faults prior to upping that performance and I'd be happy to pay a premium for such a service cool.gif

Just check out JaysGTIs posts about his remap experience from hell frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops I've just re-read my post and the "Have" sould read "Haven't" blush.gif just to set things straight 169144-ok.gif

Hi cawky....I'm not really the expert that many people seem to think I am but as far as I know VW would be calling us for any important ECU updates if there were any.

Some of the tuners are covering their asses by asking/insisting that our ECUs are checked that they have the latest updates available before they start their tuning. There have been issues with GTI DSG cars.

[ QUOTE ]

HI Red ,

from what you have heard ,would we have to pay for the ECU checkup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate.

Before I had mine re-mapped a few days ago, because mine was a used car when I bought it, and I knew it had gone in for a quick job before I collected it, I rang the dealer that had done the job on it (VW), and was told that yes, mine had been updated recently with the latest VW software (luckily), but that they only do this if you go in with a problem, and there is a more up-to-date version available.

ie; they will do it, but only if it needs to be done.

This may not be gospel, of course, but it`s what I was told, so it may be best to enquire with your local dealer to see whether they will charge, or not.

[ QUOTE ]

but that they only do this if you go in with a problem, and there is a more up-to-date version available.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to have a problem just book it in for any latest ecu software updates, i did this with the R thinking i was getting 6463 (i already had this but did not no it) and had software version 013 put on as this was the latest at the time.

[ QUOTE ]

so it may be best to enquire with your local dealer to see whether they will charge, or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the car is under warrenty, they should not charge you for any software updates.

HTH 169144-ok.gif