How easy to fit new brakes??

jock23

Need to do my front ones on my mk3 golf tdi and am currently trying to decide whether or not to do it myself or pay about £120-£200 for a garage to do it.

Is it relatively easy to do? Do i need to be careful about anything when buying parts or actually doing to change??

For the sake of £120 i would get some-one to do them. It will also give you piece of mind.

I tried to change over some brakes with a mate of mine and it was not an easy job. We didn't have the right tools (we needed a special tool to seal the brake pipes) and getting the new calipers to fit was tough too! we did it in the end, but we still went to the garage to get it checked!

pads only is an easy job.

discs a bit more of a job but not too hard. Only problem with discs is getting them off can sometimes be tricky. They may be stuck to the hub or the bolts can be pretty tight.

I doubt you are changing the calipers, but even then you are unlikely to need a brake pipe nib thingy - you only need that when you are replacing the brake pipes.

just make sure you get the correct pads. bit of a bugger when they give you the wrong ones and you are half way through the job!

Yeah just changing the pads and discs, not calipers. Struggling to get my alloys off just now anyway, so dont know what am gonna be like with rest of brakes!!!

Thats one of the things putting me off, getting all the right pads/discs etc. Got a haynes manual already.