If you had a thousand pounds...

frazzle

...what would you do to improve the performance of your GTi.

I have a w-plate Polo Gti, which is driven by mrs frazzle now that I have my saab aero 169144-ok.gif

She now finds the polo quite sluggish in comparison, so what mods are there to improve the responsiveness and pace. She doesn't want any suspension work or anything - she just wants it quicker! Any suggestions guys?

Custom Code stage 1 chip from JBS will smooth the power delivery as well as releasing up to 12hp and extra torque from the powerplant. If you get a full stainless exhaust system and BMC induction kit fitted before having this done the gains will possibly be higher (this is the route I am following), but every application is unique.

B&M short-shift will improve the gear change by shortening the throw and giving a more positive feel to the gearbox's action, another item on my "to-do" list (bought the shifter but it's not fitted yet). But it would be worth having a go in a car with the B&M fitted to see if it is to Mrs Frazzle's tastes, as it is quite different from the standard gearbox and 'change!

The 1.6 16v 125bhp powerplant isn't as tuneable as a 1.8T or even the 1.4 16v that was fitted in the Polo mk4 so there isn't a great scope for masses more power to be honest. Exhaust, induction and the chip will add maybe 20hp and better responsiveness from the engine but nothing very major. A Greek Polo GTi owner over on UK-Polos.net carried out extensive engine modifications including high-performance cams and a cat bypass and managed 127bhp at the wheels with wheelspin in 1st thru 3rd EEK2.GIF but it was a lot of money and work, and it still wasn't perfect!

A thousand pounds is a great budget but not a lot is available other than the aforementioned 'zorst, induction and chip combined with B&M IMO - blame the short production run! I guess you could look for a performance high-flow cat, Supersprint make a full system for the Polo GTi including the catalytic converter and the full exhaust system, might be worth investigating?

HTH!

• 3 weeks later...

It's true, theres not a great deal that can be done to get any meaningful performance increase with the GTi's engine, unless you are planning to spend megabucks! And if you were going to commit to spending many thousands on the car, an engine transplant would be the best option - 1.8T is quite favourable!

I've got my exhaust, I'll have the BMC before the end of this year, and thats as far as I'll go unless I splash the cash on Custom Code grin.gif