Advice on Hawaii, please..........!!

sidicks

Anyone been to Hawaii recently?

I'm considering a trip there later in the year, maybe July, and would hope to do something along the lines of the following:

- Stopover in Las Vegas for 2 nights on the way to Hawaiii

- 10 nights in Hawaii, maybe split between 2 or even 3 different islands

- Stopover in New York for 2 nights on the way home from Hawaii

Activities will be based around maybe 2 or 3 dives, maybe 2 or 3 rounds of golf, a bit of sightseeing and plenty of relaxation.

Can anyone recommend particular hotels, itenaries, islands etc ?

Cheers

Sidicks

That's quite a similar itinerary to what I've just booked for our honeymoon!

I can't comment on the diving since I've never done it, but our trip is going to be:

Gatwick > Las Vegas, Virgin Atlantic direct flight

4 nights at the Bellagio. We plan to see lots of shows, including Cirque de Soleil if possible, do a bit of gambling, shopping etc. I want to see the Star Trek exhibition as well. sekret.gif

Las Vegas > Kona, Hawaii's Big Island, Hawaiian Airways via Honolulu

We're going to stay 5 nights at the Sheraton Keauhou near Kona. There's not so much choice of good hotels on the Big Island, unless you want to pay £400 a night for the Four Seasons Hualalai. We plan on taking a helicopter trip over the active volcanoes, doing some kind of dolphin swimming encounter, have a drive around the island etc.

Kona > Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines direct

We'll be spending 7 nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki Beach. This hotel looks great and it is on the widest part of the beach. I think we'll spend most of the week just sightseeing and lazing around!

Honolulu > Las Vegas, Hawaiian Airlines direct

We'll spend a further 3 nights in Vegas, this time at THE hotel at Mandalay Bay. We wanted to try this place since the suites look great! It's at the South end of the Strip so a bit more out of the way. We are planning to go and see the Grand Canyon and generally relax before flying home.

We're going in June so I'll let you know how it goes!

They're about £120 return for Honolulu to Kona. We booked a multi leg trip Vegas > Kona > Honolulu > Vegas which was about £480 per person. Slight problem with Hawaiian Airlines' web site is that you can't book unless you have a US credit card, so I booked through Opodo which was a bit more expensive.

I think Island Air are a bit cheaper but they don't do the direct flights from Las Vegas so I decided to keep everything through Hawaiian Airways.

Been to Ohau twice. Staying in Waikiki is the easy thing to do, there's plenty of life and the beach isn't bad. We stayed at the Outrigger Reef which is on the beach at Waikiki, well located for everything you need and good value. Clicky The Ohana chain is the same group but cheaper hotels. For more luxury (and cost) try the Hilton Hawaian Village or any of the hotels on the beach at Waikiki. Better beaches can be found around the island so it's worth having a car, try Lanikai beach (East/North East side of the island), it's just a suburban beach, but it's quiet and like a picture post card (try a google image search for Lanikai!). The North shore is worth a visit, small surf dude places and diserted beaches (like on Lost).

Golfing is big business on Ohau, lots of the tour companies will arrange a round. We did some rain forest treking on land owned by a golf course and then went to the club house for lunch. Amazing place can't remeber the name but I belever that most of the major clubs have similar facilites so you'll enjoy it whichever you choose.

As for diving, in the winter time you can see whales all around the island, I saw a sea turtle just swimming off Waikiki, so basically anywhere is going to be a good dive.

Not much of a surfer living in Sheffield. Tried it a bit whilst we were out there. I only seem to be good at hand/eye coordingation when using a mouse or driving so I spent much more time falling off.

When we went in the winter the North Shore came alive. It's a cool laid back sort of place with a very surfer feel, but in the winter it was buzzing. The waves really are for the expert though. Most of the beaches are actually closed to swimming with life guards on the lookout for the obviously talentless (mostly tourists).

At first glance the waves don't look that impressive, but thats because the seascape is so big, it's only when you spot a tiny surfer out there that you realise.

I just love Hawaii, it's so friendly, so laided back and just generally a cool place to be. The sea plays such a big part of everyones life, everywhere you go it's either boating, surfing or diving, or a combination of all 3.

Being in IT I did notice a large IBM office overlooking the beach between Waikiki and Honolulu, it's certinaly at the back of my mind to find out how I might get a job there!

It's a place I'd love to visit.

Done Oz and NZ (plus most of Europe) surfwise but not the "home" of surfing, Hawaii.

You get a taste of the waves they have in parts of Europe, Oz and NZ, but not a lot beats the heaviness of the waves there apart from a mad place in Tahiti called Teahupoo.

Check THIS out!

teahupoo.jpg

They can be a bit harsh.

16 years surfing has got me thw following:

Dislocated shoulder four times.

Slashed face.

Broken nose.

Several black eyes.

Two near drownings.

Several broken ribs.

Concussion.

Very nearly broke my neck.

Sliced hand open.

Sinusitus x 4.

Ear problems.

Etc, etc.

Still great fun though but the sort of wave pictured is strictly for complete lunatics.

My biggest surf is triple overhead - Still nothing compared to that wave!

Thoughts of a Hawaii trip now on my mind...