"The MKV Grill debate"

Argus

A replacement front grill (complete) is £79 plus VAT and to that you need to fit the roundel surround £11.71 plus VAT.

I'm thinking about buying one and then spraying the aluminium painted part of it in the body colour (which in my case is Steel Grey) After spraying with body colour I'd put a couple of coats of clear coat (lacquer) on. I think this would look much better and make the front end look slightly less bling. I also think it would be more durable than the aluminium look.

The GTI grill is quite different and uses different bottom mounting points so I don't think it would be easy to fit. It would also be a bit pointless trying to turn your R32 to look like a GTI.

The lower side vents where the fog lights go in the GTI are solid plastic on the R32 and don't really provide airflow to the front brakes. I guess some aftermarket company could manufacture ones with fog lights in them quite easily but I don't think you can use the GTI ones as again the front valance is different.

The Mk V R32 is fitted with Xenons as standard and as such these lights have an inbuilt control lever to dictate whether a left or right hand beam pattern should be used. You can access this lever by removing the rear headlight cap by turning in an anticlockwise direction. You'll then be able to adjust a lever - up is left hand drive and down is right hand drive.

If you are getting problems with your R32 Xenons being set too high particularly the passenger side dazzling cars that you overtake then you can adjust the height of this headlight by adjusting two adjustment screws (white plastic screws). They have labels on them indicating Up one way and Down the other. I did this earlier today and hopefully won't get people flashing me now.

I'm not sure what the adjustment procedure is for cars without Xenons - the workshop manual says that this info was'nt available at the time of going to press.

[ QUOTE ]

Does that mean VW didn't 'learn' from the MKIV and you still have difficulty getting to back of lights for changing bulbs? I'm sure aftermarket will pick up on the lacklustre grill and produce a couple of options.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's actually loads of room for acces this time Dan. I guess it's the adjustments that are still a pita. Not a great pic, but you can see the gaps here, loads of room.

r3206_022.sized.jpg

169144-ok.gif

[ sorry didn't mean to take this thread off topic ]

just to clarify - my comment was only regarding switching the bias between driving on the left and right - England or Germany for example.

I think there may be a difference in effort required between adjusting height for fine tuning purposes (think this is what scillyisles is describing) and adjusting the overall left>right pattern. Am basing this on the workshop manual details I saw earlier today and the frustrated tech who couldn't get to the adjustment lever scillyisles mentioned.

Grateful for any other clarifications in case I have posted misleading info. 169144-ok.gif

so people know it's possible, I now have a completely centered Xenon beam pattern so suitable for driving on both left & right.

beerchug.gif