Key numbering

jonathansargent

I have made a real cock-up!!! Like everyone who reads on here must know, my car was supplied with a Dutch manual! So the first two weeks I was guessing. Well, the only dumb thing I did was throw awaythe plastic key tab with the number on it for re-ordering new keys!! I thought it was just dealer stock numbering. Can anyone tell me (i) is it posible to get another from VW by quoting chassis number say OR (ii) is it a number in the form

VWZ1Z2E XXXXXXX

where the last 7 Xs are numerals - but for obvious reasons I am not writing them out - in case it is the key number!!

Would be very graetful for advice.

(This shoud be me under the hammer!) smashfreakB.gif

What is the Volkswagen information line?

Telephone: 0800 333 666

How do I contact Volkswagen Customer Care?

Telephone: 0800 711 811

They may not have your details on file as it's an import (if you take the log book (when you get it) to a UK Dealer I think they can add it for you) But the principle will of course be the same.

I will tell you what i did for the SEAT grin.gif

I bought a second hand key off ebay.

I bought a key blank.

I Got it cut and fitted it too the second-hand key.

I got my dad to take second-hand key to dealer who programed it. Think it was £35 charge from dealer iirc.

Only problem i had was finding the correct key for sale as there was two frequencies that they used and i had to get the right one. grin.gif

For my previous Mk4 Golf I was astounded that one dealer (Tunbridge Wells) wanted to charge £60 to program the keys (on top of the key price), while another (Ashford) did that for free.

Thus rather than paying approx £95, it only cost £30ish for the key and programming it in. The "programming" is easy if you have all the original keys with you, as (certainly on the Mk4 they just resynchronised all the keys together with the car in sequence. Took about 3 minutes. Getting the key blank ordered and then cut wasn't much longer.

Suggest phone around....

[ QUOTE ]

For my previous Mk4 .......it only cost £30ish for the key and programming it in. The "programming" is easy if you have all the original keys with you, as (certainly on the Mk4 they just resynchronised all the keys together with the car in sequence. Took about 3 minutes. .....

[/ QUOTE ]

I found i could not get the new key to resynchronised at the time we did it frown.gif I did try many times frown.gif. If i had vagcom at the time i could have done it myself though.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/key-matching.html

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-key-matching.html

more info on keys and vagcom