Interpret VIN for ELSA WIN software...

Carlo

I need to interpret my VIN number so that I can select the right model in ELSA WIN for the service manuals... But am struggling.

My car is a 1997 A3 1.8 non turbo. My VIN starts with wauzzz8lzva and understand that the WAU stands for Made in Germany and is an Audi, The V 2nd from last is that it is a 1997 model but other than that I am drawing blanks. It seems that ZZZ8L is the most important bit but I am really not sure what this is supposed to tell me confused.gif

I am struggling on selecting the Gearbox type and Engine type within the vehicle selection screen. I have tried to enter the entire VIN but it does not find any cars associated with it. I know I have a pucker A3 and all, as was bought from Audi main stealer...

Not having fun... there is so many variants to choose form on ELSA WIN. Any help would be greatly recieved.

The three Z's are just unused filler characters. The 8L is the model designation, in this case an A3 (8E for A4 saloon, etc). There is a small write up on the VAGparts website explaining the makeup of the number link.

The best way to complete the ELSA Win vehicle selector screen is by using the data sticker in the front of the service book (or in the boot?). This also provides the engine code and gearbox code to enter into ELSA WIN.

Hope that helps.

You need to know your engine code which is:

On a sticker on the cam cover,

On a sticker in the boot (around the spare wheel)

In the front of the service book

Will be something like AGN Should start with a "A" and have 2 letters.

Now just select

Audi

A3

Your engine code AGN ;-)

now just pick any manual gearbox if you have a manual like "CZM" or a auto box if yours is a auto.(unless you are going to strip the gearbox apart then you will need the gearbox code)

click OK or Enter and now you can use software. 169144-ok.gif

Cheers for your help guys... Had a look for the sticker in the boot... got lots of funny looks from my neighbours as I seemed to be trying to do a headstand in my boot while trying to find the sticker blush.gif couldn't find one anywhere in my boot, took out my spare tire and even checked in side panels to change lights etc... Will check out the cam cover tomorrow when it is light again... unfortunatley my service book is a replacement as main stealer lost pucker one at service, so it doesn't have all the original stickers with the car spec on...

Can't wait to get to grips with ELSA Win, it seems incredibly comprehensive. Will hopefully help me service my car knowing I am dong everything correct...