Mini-meet in LA anyone?? Trip advice needed!!

skifly

Guys,

Wondering if any of you can help me take advantage of work sending me to LA for a couple of days. I am going out at the beginning of next month on a weds and have to work thursday/friday. BUT I managed to book flights back on sunday late afternoon so was just wondering if anyone has tip on where to go and what to see.

I will be staying in Marina del Ray raddison for work but then will have to head out elsewhere. Have lots of points for an ICH hotel so just need to find one in the right area... which leads directly to the next question...

What areas should i see and what can i do for a sat and half sunday? Dont want to see anything major league touristy like disney or the studios but want to have a good relax and look around etc... sit in nice cafe's with character and maybe get a bit wet (is sea cold in april?)

Final question is about digital SLR's - any tips on where to buy one at a decent price etc. Will post in it section in a sec about camera options but am considering something like a Canon 35d (rebel in the US).

Oooh and any ideas for decent bars where the locals would love to entertain someone with an english accent will always be appreciated!! beerchug.gif

Cheers all...

Meet in LA anyone??

Oh and DHA - please be nice to the virgin VS007 (?) leaving on the 5th (11am ish)

I stayed at Marina Del Ray last year, superb. Had 5 days in LA as part of a round the world trip. Must admit I did the tourist thing, Universal studios, Six flags magic mountain for the rollercoasters (wicked), Venice beach, Rodeo Drive, and Hollywood boulevard to name a few. Absoulutley wicked time, loved it to bits and will go back again next year when my baby son is old enough to travel and we can hire a camper to drive up the coast (Pacific Highway I think its called)

The people are so friendly and the customer service is exceptional.

Enjoy 169144-ok.gif

hey man

I've got a 350D, it's the Rebel XT in America. Most places, Best Buy, Walmart etc, aren't a lot cheaper than Amazon or other on-line UK sellers! I think I paid about $1500 for mine, but I got; camera, bag, spare battery, couple of filters and two lenses. So a good deal.

Try a Best Buy (despite what I said above) as they can do offers wink.gif Otherwise try a smaller shop, but be warned, they quite often sell refurbs or rebadged models! If the deal is too good to be true, then frown.gif

Have a great time matey!

as mentioned in the IT thread i am a little worried about buying a cam over there and not having the warranty!

Will probably try to do a few of the areas you mentioned Matt but have done many theme parks before so am a little less interested in them now. Know its a short time to try experience LA but couldnt miss the oppertunity.

Will probably do the obvious hollywood blvd, rodeo drive, venice beach and try investigate some of the local watering holes etc...

The warranty is obviously an issue, but you can always go back to the US to get the warranty sorted and tbh unless you drop the camera, there is very little to go wrong.

I take it as a gamble, I've bought several cameras over there.

Not that I do (;) but if you want to import "illegally" (i.e. not pay the VAT), then mess up your carry case a little, so it looks weathered!

• 3 weeks later...

cheers SK - will check it out but have just had to cut it down by a day so not best pleased. Still i finish early on the friday. You dont happen to know any decent relaxed bars where a single bloke can hang out for a few hours with a few or more beers?

Cheers - Chris