Best way to clean wheels

markkieras

I have recently ordered a 2.0T S-line SE with the 15 spoke (DTM) wheels.

I read somewhere on this forum that they are a bugger to keep clean. What is the best way to keep then clean and free of break dust? I don't really want to spend every week cleaning confused.gif

I know there are differing opinions on the best way to keep wheels clean; however any sound advice would be useful.

Mark_K

Do a search mate, there are a huge amount of threads on cleaning wheels, but basically most people will recommend staying clear of the "acid" based cleaners and stick with something like Virosol, a wheel brush and then a wheel wax/polish 169144-ok.gif

I've got the same 15 spoke wheels.

I have a little brush (like a pastry brush) for doing the fiddly bits around the outer rim. I then use a mit to clean the spokes and finish off using a Meguiars wheel brush to do the back of the wheel.

Always use 2 buckets (one for rinsing off your dirty mit or brush) and then apply a decent wax on the wheels. The wax prevents a lot of the crap sticking to the wheels meaning a blast with the power washer will take most of the dirt off.

I tend to wash the car twice a week and reapply wax to the wheels every 4 to 6 washes.

I found once I worked out a method to clean them, I can do all 4 including drying and waxing in about half an hour.

I would avoid using harsh cleaners every time and if you do need to use something, use Virosol as stated as it is less harsh than other products 169144-ok.gif

2_G.jpg

It's easy, wash them as often as you can, never let the grime build up.

1. Buy a reasonably good wheel cleaner nothing fancy, as you will be cleaning them every week not allowing any real dirt to build up.

2. Drive to the nearest jet wash, not too far away, the closest one will do, you don't want to heat up those discs too much.

3. Spray the cleaner on and get your token for the jet only, no brush.

4. Blast all the muck off your wheels, get in nice and close and use the remaining water to blast grit of the bodywork working top to bottom.

5. Drive the short distance home, park on your drive and get your wheel cleaning brush out, these cost only pennies and save hours. Get down nice and low and spray a small amount of cleaner on each wheel as you work on it. Get it between the spokes and give the inside rim a working over too. Rinse well.

6. Wash the rest of your car in the usual manner.

7. Use the wheel wax and body conditioning products of your choice and stand back.

The important thing is to clean them as often as you can. 169144-ok.gif

I have a load of brushes i used on my 15 spokes that I have for cleaning my mountain bike, 'Muck off' is the make, they are great and you get them in Halfords. However I recently bought an 'Auto Glym' detailing brush from the same store, its fantastic and can get in and around the wheel nuts with no bother what-so-ever. Made life dead easy and now I can clean a wheel in no time at all. Before it used to take me ages.

I do concur about the wheel wax stuff too. Put the time in once a month and save loads of time the rest, well worth it.